000

JUNE 16TH 2012

4 YEARS AGO

It was the screams that startled Diana Pines to awaken from her unconscious state of mind. The pained wails of her husband stretched across the usual quietness of the night and begged for her to open her eyes. Through her sleep induced haze, the woman's eyes fluttered open ever so softly, groggy visions of her husband's silhouette, writhing and digging his bloodied nails into the armrest of the car's center console, danced across her parted and glazed gaze. The woman, stuck in her hypnagogic state, couldn't find the fight in her body to stay awake, the tortured screams fading as her heavy eyelids slowly began to close as she fell once again into unconsciousness.

When she woke again, the screaming was still going and she could feel someone grabbing onto her arm. Almost instinctively, the woman knew it was her husband's touch but she couldn't understand why he was suddenly holding on to her for dear life. He continued to scream and scream, pleading for them to stop. An incoherent noise escaped Diana's lips, trying to ask her husband what was wrong but her lungs, from lack of receiving oxygen, gave out once again, knocking the brunette woman back into unrequited darkness.

When she woke up for the third time, the screaming had stopped. Darkness was still all around her and pain shot through the woman's body as she tried to shift from the uncomfortable position she was currently in, but couldn't seem to. Diana winced in pain and slowly opened her eyes, her sluggish mind still attempting to process her surroundings as her sight began to develop.

Once her vision focused, she heard and felt a powerful force slam the door to her husband's side, the sound managing to fully pull her into reality. The dashboard from the car she was sitting was crushing her legs, keeping her in place. She lolled her head to the side, catching sight of her children in the slightly shattered rear-view mirror before she could glance at her husband next to her.

There was an aching pain in her body as she looked over her shoulder to better check on her children who had been slumbering peacefully in the backseat prior to this. If anything had happened to them she didn't know if she could find it in herself to forgive the sinful stubbornness in her that prompted this whole trip to begin with.

She sighed in relief as they appeared to look unharmed, their seatbelts kept them- more or less- in place, perhaps they lost consciousness at the impact.The woman retrieved the phone that jumped out of her hand from the dashboard, currently atop of her legs, and dialed for the emergency responders through the lock screen.

With the phone pressed up against her ear, she looked over to her husband, placing a hand on his shoulder, "Harold?" she said softly, voice hoarse. The phone still in hand, the woman gently nudged her husband to gain some sort of response from him, the phone still ringing in her ear as she waited for someone to answer.

The man that sat beside her stirred slowly in a way that made her believe he was beginning to awake from his unconscious state and she sighed in pure relief, a smile about to form upon her lips. She grasped his shoulder gently and turned him to face her, words of concern about to tumble of out her mouth before they suddenly caught in her throat and manifested into a scream at the sight of her beloved's mangled face.

The phone in her hand was dropped and forgotten as she took in the sight of the eyeless expression inches from her. Blotches of red, dried up and dark, crusted up on the surface of his blue stained skin and stemming from where his comforting brown eyes would normally reside was nothing but empty abysses of darkness. The woman reached out to touch his face instinctively, a soft cry of disbelief and anguish escaping her lips and wracking her body as she begging to everything her visual senses deceived her.