Chapter 38:

Chapter 38:

"No." Katniss says, plan and simple, no. "I don't trust any of them, I can't stand most of them, and I'd rather operate with just the two of us."
"That's what I said at first, but--" I begin.
"But it won't be enough," Haymitch insists. "You're going to need more allies this time around."
"Why?"
"Because you're at a district disadvantage. Your competitors have known each other for years. So who do you think they're going to target first?" Haymitch says.
"Us. And nothing we're going to do is going to override any old friendships," Katniss says. "So why bother?"
"Because you can fight. You're popular with the crowd. That could still make you desirable allies. But only if you let the others know you're willing to team up with them," says Haymitch.

"You mean you want us in the Career pack this year?"  Katniss says, showing her distaste in her voice.

"That's been our strategy, hasn't it? To train like Careers?" counters Haymitch. "And who makes up the Career pack is generally agreed upon before the Games begin. Peeta barely got in with them last year."

"So basically, we're trying to get in with Finnick and Brutus-- is that what you're saying?"
"Not necessarily. Everyone's a victor. Make your own pack if you'd rather. Choose who you like. I'd suggest Chaff and Seeder. Although Finnick's not to be ignored," says Haymitch. "Find someone to team up with who might be of some use to you. Remember, you're not in a ring full of trembling children anymore. These people are all experienced killers, no matter what shape they appear to be in."
"Okay. I'll try...." Katniss says.

It's a short ride that there's no real time for conversation, but when I take Katniss's hand, I feel her tense up, but she doesn't let go. She may have ignored me last night, but we must appear to be an inseparable team today. Effie wants to escort us down to the Training Center, but Haymitch said that we need to look like we're not being babysat, but she was worried about us being the last ones there.

But she didn't need to worry about that. Only Brutus and the woman from District 2, Enobaria, are present. Enobaria looks to be about 30  and all I can remember about her is that, in hand-to-hand combat, she killed one tribute by ripping open his throat..... with her teeth!

By 10 o'clock, only about half the tributes have shown up.