A New Light

It had been the middle of the night when contractions had started. Riza flinched in pain, clutching her stomach and waking her husband. Roy, of course, had immediately started panicking.

"Do you need anything? Are you alright? What do we do?" He exclaimed buzzing around Riza, as he ran his hands through his hair worriedly.

Riza, being her usual self had remained in a state of calm, making sensible decisions for the two of them.

"Just grab my shoes dear," she said, grabbing a packed back of extra clothes and essentials that had been prepared early on. Roy quickly phoned the hospital, hands shaking and voice at a near shout. Riza shook her head and winced again as another wave of contractions came.

By some miracle the two managed to get safely into their old car and to the hospital, where Riza was immediately rolled away for further care. Her husband, of course, trailed behind in an anxious fit.

Hughes had described the experience of his daughter's birth before, but Roy had never imagined how simeltaneously excited and terrified he felt.
Once getting situated in a room, the contractions were coming more intensely and often, and Riza was becoming more tense herself.

"Are you doing alright?" Roy questioned after another groan of pain, as he clutched his wife's hand desperately.

"No! Now shut up and keep holding my hand!" She exclaimed, squeezing her eyes shut.

So for what seemed like forever, Roy did just that, nearly having the bones crushed in his hand as pain became unbearable for Riza.

It wasn't till several hours later, the cries of pain and hand-crushing ceased. Riza's grip relaxed in exhaustion as an infant's cry rang through the room.

Snapping out of it, Roy sat straight up, feeling goosebumps prickle his skin.

Could it really be?

Moments later an assisting nurse approached the bedside, a bundle of blankets hand.

"Congratulations," the nurse said, smiling. "It's a boy." She gentle placed the child into Roy's shaking hands. From an opening, a tiny red faced peeked out.

The man sat frozen in awe as he stared at the dark haired child, unaware of the tears now streaming down his cheeks.

"He... he's really mine?" Roy asked shakily, as if afraid the infant would be taken from him.

"Not just yours," Riza's voice sounded, chuckling tiredly. "I believe I deserve some credit."

Roy looked lovingly at his wife, simple nodded vigorously. "Of course. Oh he's amazing Riza. You're amazing. I can't believe..." At this point the lump in his throat made it too difficult to talk.

"You're a father Roy," she smiled, placing a hand on his cheek.

He, in response absentmindedly leaned into her delicate fingers before gingerly lifting the baby into her arms.

Riza's eyes lit up as she cooed at the infant and Roy watched her adoringly.

How he had managed to get this lucky, he didn't know.

A few minutes later the child was wheeled away for a bath and some precautionary medical care, leaving two very exhausted and joyful Mustangs.

Roy held his wife's hand to his lips as he placed a gentle kiss against her palm.

"I love you," he whispered, quietly and repeatedly. Riza smiled fondly and wiped away the tear tracks that now lined her husband's face.

"I love you too," she replied, squeezing his hand. "You're going to make a wonderful dad."

Roy looked at her wide eyed, suddenly feeling a tinge of worry. "Are... are you sure?" He questioned, suddenly thinking of all the mistakes he had made over the years. Maybe he wasn't qualified for this after all.

Riza stared at him earnestly. "I am positive," she replied without blinking. He could see the fear in her eyes too, but more than that, there was resolve, and hope, and most of all love. A fierce love that could crush any doubts or worries that came their way. And in that moment, Roy believed her. Believed in this.

The two had certainly been through hell, but this here and now... this was heaven.