Original: Chapter 40 - Investments

I tossed and turned in bed trying to get comfortable but it was no use. I could still feel Noah's hands wrapped around my waist and his lips on mine. Knowing he was in the room next to mine made feelings erupt in my stomach- feelings that I hadn't felt since I first started dating Brad before everything happened between us.

To make matters worse I could hear muffled arguments coming from the room next to mine but it wasn't the room Noah and Brooke were in but Mason and Jack's.

Shortly after the shouting began it stopped and the noise was replaced with a soft knock on my door. 

I got up dressed in only a tank top and shorts and walked over to the door opening it slightly to see who is there at 2am. 

Jack stood in front of me in only a pair of checkered pyjama pants, a blanket wrapped around his shoulders. He was obviously exhausted and tired- the dark rings around his eyes were a sign. "Can I sleep in here?" 

I nodded and opened the door further, he stepped into the room and took the other bed. I climbed back into bed and laid on my side facing him, he did the same. "I wish my brother could be the man you deserve," with that simple statement I saw his eyes flutter closed. 

"Yeah me too" 

*

Our vacation passed quickly and it was only a matter of time before we were back on the jet coming home. I didn't want it to end, but I knew the time would come around for us to get back to reality. The same reality that made sure I was miles away from Noah, the same reality that meant I had to leave those I had grown to love, and the same reality that means I have to be alone again. I guess it's my fate.

On the way back I sat on a chair opposite Jackson and we played a few games of cards to pass the time, not to mention me being on a winning streak of 10 games and Jackson getting angrier every time he lost a game. 

The last days of the vacation all went the same; wake up, eat breakfast, sunbathe, eat lunch, sunbathe, eat dinner, go to the bar and then bed. Nothing interesting happened during the day, there was no more communication between Noah and I since that last kiss. 

I say 'last' kiss lightly because back at the house when Jack and Kelly persuaded their parents let them throw a party I thought the kiss between Noah and I was going to be the last, a kind of goodbye kiss. 

Although this time it certainly did feel like the last kiss, I don't know why or in what way but it did. 

One thing I did know for sure was that he certainly didn't say goodbye to me and come to think of it he didn't say goodbye to his family. 

With the way that everything was going when he was out on the balcony, you know the carefree Noah I always knew he had inside of him- I thought things with him had changed. 

The Mckenzie's and I arrived back at the house after a short drive from the airport. We parted ways, everyone heading to their rooms and me to the boathouse. I dragged my suitcase behind me up the stairs and began to unpack. But was there really any point in unpacking? You know because of me having to leave.

"Ahem..." 

What the hell! I jumped, spun around to see James laying on the couch, "bloody hell James you scared the crap out of me." I put my hand on my heart to feel it beating rapidly as if I had just been for a 10-mile run. 

"I didn't wanna say anything coz I was enjoying the show," Oh crap, did he see me dancing around while unpacking? How did I not see him here? 

I rolled my eyes, "what are you even doing in here? This is where I sleep James, it's my private place."