Irresistible

A week had passed since Teyla's encounter with Michael. Dr. Weir had begun preparations to implement Samantha Carter's idea for an intergalactic space bridge between the Pegasus Galaxy and the Milky Way Galaxy. This meant that Shepherd's team and a few others had been pulling back to back missions looking for Stargates on uninhabited planets.

In adherence with his agreement with Dr. Weir, Michael had been working with Dr. Beckett on the retrovirus. Despite their combined efforts, they were still no closer to eliminating the memory loss side effect of the treatment.

Sheppard's team was sitting at one of the tables in the cafeteria. They were eating a quick breakfast before heading out to another planet.

"I don't understand why we have to go to this planet. So what if the M.A.L.P. detected life signs? Lets scratch that gate off the list and move on. Our priority should be identifying potential gates for the intergalactic space bridge not making first contact with another pre-industrial revolution society." McKay's voice rang of excitement and annoyance as he spoke.

"Are you eager to return to Earth, Rodney?" Teyla asked. She was sitting across from him. The remnants of porridge were left at the bottom of plastic bowl sitting on the tray in front of her. She watched with subtle unease as McKay stuffed more toast than could fit into his mouth into it.

"It's not about getting to Earth right now. It's about the convenience of being able to get there in 30 minutes using the bridge rather than taxing the ZedP.M. or taking a 3 week journey on the Daedalus. Supplies, assistance, food; it will all be that much closer."

"Thats all we need: you with more food." Ronon groaned as he pushed the remainder of his food away from himself.

"Achoo!" John smiled at everyone before quickly pushing his face into his sleeve and sneezing again.

"Are you feeling alright, John?" Teyla asked.

"It's just a cold." John's voice was hoarse and nasally. "Nothing I can't handle, just annoying!" He stood up, lifting his tray off the table, "let's get to the mission."

The four of them headed out to the jumper bay.

Across the city Dr. Beckett and Michael were working on the retrovirus.

"This simulation failed again! There is simply no way to remove the wraith sections of the DNA without losing the subjects memory." Michael slabbed his fist on the desk as he shouted the words.

"We simply haven't found the way to do it." Even Dr. Beckett's gleeful and light-hearted voice rang of capitulation. "We will keep trying to find a way, Michael."

"And what happens when I begin to starve? If we have not found a solution by then I will either be forced to take the treatment and lose my memories or die! That is hardly a choice."

Dr. Beckett moved across the lab towards Michael and faced him. "If you have to take the treatment and lose your memories again, I will keep working on the retrovirus until I find a way to give you back your memories. I promise."

Michael held eye contact with Dr. Beckett for a long time before nodding. He immediately turned to the computer and began working again.

Nervously, Dr. Beckett shifted his weight from his heels to his toes then back to his heels again. "Right, back at it then." He mumbled as he returned to his work station.

...

"I am detecting life signs in the south-east quadrant of the largest continent." McKay was busily studying the control panel. "Yup, just as I suspected, no signs of any post-industrial age technology."