Choosing Sides

The sparring gym was unusually crowded. Military officers and even some scientists had gathered, watching the sparring. As a whole group, the crowd cheered and gasped with each punch and block of the fighters. It was Teyla and Michael.

"Who's winning?" McKay asked as he took a bite of his cheery danish.

"Teyla has been holding her own but Michael is going to take it, he doesn't even look tired!" John sounded impressed and jealous.

Michael had Teyla from behind, she couldn't move.

"We seem to have quite the audience today." Teyla gasped as she tried to escape Michael's hold.

"It is a shame, for you, that so many people will have to see you lose." Michael's breath felt warm against Teyla's ear.

Teyla dropped her elbow and drove it hard into Michael's stomach. His grip loosed just enough for Teyla to get herself free. She swung herself around twisting Michael's arm behind his back. But he was too strong, she couldn't hold him in place, and he broke free of her. She tried to catch her breath as she stood opposite him on the mat.

Michael stuck several times and Teyla blocked them easily. Then he faked a shot at her head and when Teyla grabbed his arm he turned and pulled her over his body. She landed hard on her back. Michael had won and the crowd clapped.

"Well fought." Teyla congratulated Michael as he got to her feet.

"Maybe next time." Michael smirked.

The crowd was about to start leaving but stopped as Ronon stepped up. "Why don't you fight someone your own size!"

"Ronon, that is enough—" Teyla began.

"No Teyla, it's fine." Michael looked at Ronon, "if he wants a fight, I will give it to him."

"Then stop talking and fight". Ronon roared.

A haze of tension descended over the crowd.

Just as the Michael stepped towards Ronon, John stepped in. "If you want to spare then that's fine, but you will do it with standard sparring regulations. No one leaves the matt. No weapons. And no one dies! Is that understood?"

"Like he would ever be able to kill me!" Ronon huffed.

"Is it understood!" John repeated.

"Understood." Ronon finally agreed.

"Teyla, lets give them the matt." John said as he stepped away.

Teyla looked both men in the eyes before leaving. Regardless of any rules Teyla knew they both wouldn't stop till the other had been torn to pieces. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" She whispered to John as she stepped away.

John put his hand on his stun weapon. "If it gets out of hand, I will just shoot them both." John smiled.

Teyla looked uneasy. Michael seemed like he was starting to feel more comfortable on Atlantis, but Ronon had not shown any measure of comfort towards Michael. It had only been a few days since he had stabbed Michael in this very room.

Michael and Ronon stared at each other briefly before Ronon began the fight. He jumped and kicked Michael square in the chest. Michael barely stopped himself from collapsing to the mat.

"That's the last time you will land a hit!" Michael quickly came back at Ronon, he jumped up bringing his elbow down hard on Ronon's shoulder. Ronon recoiled in pain but a moment later throw a punch up at Michael's stomach. He blocked it, and then another. Every move that Ronon made Michael perfectly anticipated and evaded. Ronon chased Michael around the matt throwing punch after punch. Michael blocked each with ease. Finally, Michael took the offensive and threw a few punches. First, he hit Ronon from the right, then drove his left hand up into his chin. He had Ronon dazed. He pulled his face down into his knee, then pushed him down onto the matt. Ronon's nose was bleeding.