One.

The alarms blared through the pack grounds, a shrill shriek on repeat as everyone stumbled out of their warm beds.

I had already jolted awake and was now pulling on a night gown and robe before speeding down the stairs and into the living room. I found my parents crowded around the kitchen table with several high ranked pack members.

"What's happening?" I wrapped my robe tighter around my frame.

"Rogues. Northern border." My father replied, anger burning in his eye (the other had been slashed out in a battle during his younger years) as he glared down at the map spread across the dining table.

My lip curled at the mention of rogues and my guts twisted in anticipation for a fight. Rogues were outcasts amongst our society and deserved to be slaughtered for their crimes against any pack.

"I demand to be on the attacking force." I said confidently, tilting my chin up and squaring my shoulders.

"No," my father didn't even look up from the map on the table.

"What do you mean 'no'?" I furrowed my eyebrows, shaken from the abrupt shut down.

"I mean you're not leaving this house. Leave the defending to the males. You can stay here and watch your siblings," He cocked an eyebrow, waiting for me to argue.

"But-"

He snarled, eyes flashing silver in warning. I slumped in defeat and stuffed my hands into my robe pockets. I shot a glare at the betas son who had his arms crossed over his broad chest, a small smirk playing across his lips.

"Yes, father," I hiss and spin on my heel to stomp back up the stairs while he goes over a plan of attack with the members who've already made it to the house.

I check on my sisters first, finding them missing I immediately go to my brothers room and find them huddled there.

"Where's Cole?"

"He left, dad sent him to the border already with a small defense team," my youngest sister, Mable, answered.

I snarled in frustration, I was the eldest! I should be at the border fighting the rogues not my little brother. Sure, he was 19, but I was just as capable to defend my pack.

"I'm going to the border. Nadine, watch Mable and Charlotte." I ordered, ignoring their fearful gasps at my blatant dismissal of my fathers command.

I slipped back into my room to change into better fighting clothes before pushing my window up. I swung my legs out, dropping silently to the roof. I looked over our neatly kept yard and took a deep breath that misted in front of my face. I stepped carefully to the edge of the roof so I could slip down to the frosted grass below.

The first snow of the season had yet to come, but with the rapidly dropping temperatures it was definitely approaching. I started a slow jog towards the north border, only shifting once I was concealed by the forest that covered most of our territory.

My amber eyes pick up each detail of the dim forest and my silver fur gleamed in the faint star light. The rogues chose a good time to attack, there was no moon to give off any glimmer of light.

I pushed my ears back close to my head as I sprinted through the forest. My paws rustled the dead leaves and left small swirls of them in my wake.

I heard the fighting before I saw it, howls and growls slicing through the otherwise silent woods. I slowed to a trot and swiveled my ears around trying to find the best approach.

I peeled off to the right and circled the fighting, keeping my head low as I surveyed the clearing where the rogues had chosen to attack. It was filled with swarming and writhing wolves, the snapping of teeth like gunshots.

I saw a rogue start limping off towards me, its lips pulled back in a snarl. I returned the growl, swishing my tail as we came to a silent standoff. The rogue, a male by his scent, watched me with leering grey eyes. My hackles raised as I stared him down, having already observed his back right leg was injured I knew just how to take him down.

I launched out of the tree line suddenly, too fast for the opposing wolf to dodge as I slammed into him. The impact sent both of us tumbling across the frozen ground. I got to my feet first, getting a swift bite to his side before backing out of range from his snapping teeth.

I swallowed the bitter taste of his blood before attacking again, this time sinking my teeth into his muscled shoulder. I shook my head to shred the flesh, muscles, and tendons, remaining clamped on even when he got a good bite at my side.

His leg collapsed under him, unable to support his weight from the damage I'd done to his shoulder. He snarled defiantly and attempted with no avail to stand again. For the first time I saw a flash of fear in his eyes and it gave me a sick sense of pleasure.

I stalked toward him again, this time slowly. When he tried to snap at me I nipped at his already injured back leg which forced a pained yelp from him. I growled lowly and placed one paw on his shredded shoulder to hold him down while I grasped his throat between my teeth. I was about to tear his throat out when another rogue slammed into my side.

The force sent me sprawling across the clearing. I barely had time to get back to my feet before the rogue grabbed me by the nape of my neck and threw me against a boulder.

I stood and tried to ignore the pain in my ribs as I had to dodge him again as he hurtled towards me once more. I snapped my teeth at him as he passed by, getting mouthful of fur from his side.

He lowered his head, a low growl reverberating from his chest. I took in his peppered black and white pelt that helps him blend in to the dark forage. His green eyes gleam tauntingly and he cocks his head mockingly at me.

I narrowed my eyes.

Why was this rogue.. teasing me? This is a fight!

He was almost twice my size, I realized as I quickly analyzed him, searching for any injuries I can target. There were one, and I'm unsure whether I should risk an attack again. I'd drowned the rest of the fighting out, completely focused only on the large male before me.

He snapped his teeth impatiently and it's then, as he started for me again, that I saw his flaw. He used only brute strength, not agility. If I could get to the side fast enough, get a good bite of his shoulder or side of his neck like the other wolf, he'd be stunned enough for me to take him out. I crouched down as he approached, jumping to the side at the last moment as he thundered by. I twist my head and sink my long canines into his shoulder. I swear my teeth were almost ripped out.

He let out a snarl of pain and stumbled to the ground. I leapt for him and grasped at his throat, ready to bite down when I felt a tightening in my chest.

Warmth flooded my body and a rush of euphoria left me light headed. I released him and scrabbled back, eyes wide in horror. Our eyes connected.

He understood.

I understood.

He stood unsteadily, eyes not leaving mine as he limped closer. I stepped back, a growl churning deep in my chest.

This couldn't be possible.

This couldn't be right.

I turned swiftly, not bothering to be stealthy as I crashed through the forests undergrowth. I heard him howl after me but it only made me push myself harder.

I needed to get away from that male, that rogue..

My mate.

First chapter :) any thoughts?