Chapter 22: Trouble

GABBIE'S POV

"Liza?!" calls Mrs Palmer as Liza rushes past her. David pushes his chair back but I quickly place my hand on his arm. Looking up at him, I slowly shake my head. David silently agrees and sits back down. "I'll go. You're both too fragile" I whisper, quietly lifting myself out of my seat. I pat his shoulder as I pass him, but as soon as I get to Erena's desk, I pluck her fluffy pen out of her hand. "Hey! That's mine!" she squeals. I just smile before raising my knee. Holding the pen in both hands, I hold it over my thigh before slamming it down, breaking the plastic pen in half. Erena gasps in horror, watching the broken pink sparkly plastic drop to the ground. Holding the shattered contents in my hand, I pick out the tip with the feathers, placing it between my teeth. Collected the rest into my fist, I hold it over her desk before sprinkling the scraps of what's left of her precious pen. Erena glares up at me angrily "I will get you Gross Gabbie. Just like your little pathetic friend!" she snarls. Chuckling, I take the feathers out of my mouth.

"Bite Me"

I turn my nose up before strutting confidently out of the silent room.

Running down the empty hallways, I check down every turn. Jogging to the front doors, I quietly push one of them open. Stepping out into the sunshine, I scan around the car park. Where the hell did she go?! On Alert, I walk around the left of the building by the soccer field.

Soft Cries.

I hear someone crying. I pick up the pace, looking through the bleachers. "Liza?" I call. No response. Suddenly, I stop. Looking out onto the field, I see a small blue figure curled up, lying right in the middle. Following the path between the bleachers to the field, I approach the figure.

"Liza?" I whisper.

The small girl turns over, looking up at me with tear stained cheeks, her eyes red and puffy from crying. "Oh Honey" I mutter, kneeling down beside her. She raises her arms like a child to clutch onto me. I lift her tiny body, so her head is resting on my lap. "Hey, it's ok" I whisper. Tears pour out of her tired eyes. She opens her mouth to speak, but I move a few curls out of her face "Shh. You don't have to say anything" I say in a reassuring tone. Brushing her hair with my fingers, she closes her eyes as her breathing slows down.

I can't bear seeing her so upset all the time!

I've tried all the lovey dovey stuff.

LIZA'S POV

Opening my eyes, I wipe my tears on my hand. Gabbie's expression changes. Her head is straight, her eyebrows raised. Placing my hands on the grass, I push myself up. Readjusting myself, I turn to face her. We stay silent for a few seconds. Finally, she takes a deep breath. "Can I say something?" she asks. I nod, preparing myelf. "You hardly tell me anything anymore. You'd always call me when you were in pain or needed someone to talk to, and you'd do the same for me." she continues. I can't do anything but sit and listen. I can tell this is hitting her hard. "Now, I'm not sure anymore" she finishes, shaking her head. "Gabbie" I mutter, "I love you! You're my best friend! It's just I-" taking in a sharp breath, I try to continue "I just can't say! There's a lot on the line, but I can't say anything unless I want to suffer the consequences!" I blubber, but Gabbie grabs my shoulders, slightly shaking me. "Liza, you've changed! Where's my strong fighter?!" she exclaims. "Ever since you're sixteenth birthday, you've been so depressed and unhappy! I know there's been a lot with your parents and everything, but you nearly killed yourself, and without giving us any warning!" her eyes begin to look like glass as she keeps her strong stare. My throat tightens as the tears return. My head begins shake "I feel so sick" I whisper. Gabbie pulls me into a warm hug, I wrap my arms around her as well, crying into her neck. "I think we should continue this conversation later. Sleepover at mine?" she asks. I can feel her cheeks curling up into a small smile. However, I frown. As I pull away from her clutch, I shake my head in fear. "No Gabs. I have um homework and Mr Ryther will literally kill me if I go out tonight"