An End

Knot was an intimidating man. As Prem spoke to him and came clean, Knot remained silent, unmoving. That terrified Prem to his core.

Wad sat behind him with his wrapped leg propped up on the ottoman. He would interject bits and pieces of information that Prem forgot. They told the story of what happened very fluidly despite not having rehearsed. When they finished explaining themselves, the air between them all stopped moving. They were frozen in silence as Knot looked from his best friend to the broken boy on the couch.

"I'm not a hunter, not anymore," Wad decided to add, "I have nothing. I'm starting from scratch. Prem is... my friend. He means a lot to me and I don't care that you guys are different."

"We aren't just different. We're blood-thirsty animals. One wrong move and we'd tear you to shreds, do you understand?" Knot finally spoke, making Prem jump slightly. "And you," he said, turning his attention to Prem, "you should fucking know better than to put your blind trust into anyone, even if they weren't a hunter!" Knot's voice was booming, echoing through the cabin. "Deer didn't die by the hands of a hunter for you to try and take a weak one in and 'fix' him. I knew you were sneaking off somewhere, but this... this is worse than anything I could have imagined." Prem flinched at his words.

"You have every right to be upset. And I'm sorry I've been deceiving you but you have to see it from my point of view. He saved me first, Knot. And he doesn't want to go back. I..." Prem's words drifted off when he set his gaze on Wad. He lost himself in studying him. Wad returned his gaze with equal fervor, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Um, hello? Are you fucking kidding me right now?" Knot said, exasperated. Prem whipped back to focus on his friend, flushed and embarrassed.

"Please, P," Wad started, holding his scarred hand up as a sign of peace, "I don't expect you to trust me right away. But I promise; I promise that I mean no harm. They probably aren't even looking for me anymore, if they were even looking at all..." Knot's eyes closed in on the scar on Wad's hand.

The room fell silent again as Knot took a step forward. Wad, in turn, paled. He looked as though he was shrinking as the man made his way closer and closer to him.

"Knot..." Prem tried to start, but Knot dismissed him with a wave.

"Show me your hand again," he ordered, and Wad obliged. Knot studied it closely. The jagged edges were raised. He could tell the cut had been deep and it hadn't healed properly.

"He didn't even hesitate, Knot," Prem whispered.

"And I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. For either of you," Wad added. "P... I'm sorry you're forced to hide. You don't deserve that. I just hope one day you'll believe me. Maybe even trust me."

"That day isn't today," he responded, then turned and started walking away. He froze just as he reached the door. The room was still; it was silent for a beat. "Take him to the condo. You know it's not safe for humans to be out here." Knot finished before closing the door behind him.

"That honestly went better than I expected," Prem said with a nervous chuckle.

"I think I just had a heart attack." Wad half-joked, eyes still wide from the encounter.

"He suggested we go to the condo. He isn't kicking you out. So we're going there, together." Wad bit his lip at Prem's words. He fell back into his usual quiet. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Wad answered, absentmindedly rubbing his shin, "I think I'm okay." Wad looked up then, to meet Prem's gaze as he took a seat on the couch next to Wad. "I'm glad I'm with you."

.

Prem had heeded Knot's advice and brought Wad to their shared condo. Knot, however, didn't come home that night, the next day, or the day after that. It was quiet in the house and Prem felt a lingering sense of unease around him there.