I've Given Up On You

-time stamp; april 18th, 2014- 

  Words are being jotted down on paper while the radio blares pop punk.  The lyrics on the page are sloppy and angry and sad, and Jack's hair is perpetuly stuck up because of how many times he's ran his hands through it and yanked on it. This was it.

This is what he needed to move on. 

He was done with Alex, and he was done with being depressed about someone who didn't care. And the more words were written down and beats tapped onto the counter top, the lighter he was feeling.

Thanks to you. 

-time stamp; december 25th, 2014-

"Merry Christmas! I'd like to propose a toast." Jack smiles, and looks at the faces of his friends and family members, little Noah was giggling and pulling on May's hair, May and Henry laughing at their son, Joe and his wife cuddled together, and Rian and Zack with their girlfriends on their arms. Everyone's eyes were turned to him and Jack's stomach and chest felt warm. 

"As you all know, this past year has been rough for me, and I'm so thankful for all of your support.  Especially you May, I'm glad to have you as a sister because without you, I would probably be drinking myself to death and wasting my life away in a pity party. I'm excited for this year to be over and to start fresh. Thank you." 

Everyone claps and smiles and they continue drinking champagne and telling stories in Christmas sweaters. 

When the radio begins playing Fool's Holiday, Jack doesn't even flinch.

-time stamp;  febuary 23rd, 2015- 

"What's going on? Are they okay? Where are they?" Jack asks frantically, his voice rushed and breathless. 

"Sir, I need you to calm down."  The doctor places a hand on Jack's shoulder and tries to look into the taller man's eyes. 

"I can't calm down! What's happening?" Jack almost yells, his eyes watering from frustration and his hands shaking at his sides. 

"It was instantanious.  I assure you Mr Davies died painless. Mrs Davies is currently in the ICU and very heavily sedated, but she has many fatal injuries Mr Barakat, and we believe it's best to pull the plug." 

Jack wants to throw up. 

"Can I see her?"

The doctor nods and leads him in the room where May's pale body is lying. There are tubes in her nose and an IV in her wrist. The heart monitor beeps monotonly.  

"May?" 

She turns her head slightly to the side and smiles, but it's more of a grimace. 

"Hey Jay," Her voice slurs from the drugs, her eyes glassed over.

"I'm so sorry-" his voice breaks and his throat closes up around a sob. 

"Hey, hush, it's gonna be alright, k Jay?  I'm alright." 

"You're leaving me, you're leaving me just like Alex did." Jack whispers.

"Oh Jay, come'ere." She reaches out outstreched hands and makes grabby motions. Jack folds his body into the bed and curls around his sister carefully, so that he wouldn't end up hurting her wounds. She runs her hands through his hair sluggishly and kisses his forehead. 

"I want you to take care of Noah." 

"What?" 

"You heard me.  I'm tired." May says around a yawn. She nuzzles her head into Jack's collar bones and closes her eyes. 

-timestamp; a day later- 

"Patient name; May Barakat-Davies, time of death;  8:36 am, Febuary 24th, 2015." The nurse states as others bustle around the room and check vital signs and machines and whatever shit they do. Jack didn't care. 

May was gone.