Chapter 2

My knees buckled underneath me and I fell to the ground, tears tracking down my face. The cloaked man stumbled away from the edge of the mountain, running in the opposite direction, towards me. I pressed myself to the tree and out of his line of vision, watching as the man raced away into the darkness.

I took a deep breath, wiping my tears from my face as I stood, walking to the edge of the mountain and overlooking the border. I could see the vague outline of my father's body and cried freely, chest heaving as sobs racked my body.

"Father." I whispered, wrapping my arms around my middle section as I fell to the ground.

"Josselyn." I heard a rough, familiar voice and turned to find my uncle, face red as he approached me cautiously. "What happened?" He asked me slowly, stepping closer towards me.

"My father, he's gone." I told him, looking up at him through tear filled eyes.

"Did you....?" He asked and startled, looking up at him with wide eyes.

"What? Why would I hurt my father, uncle?" As I spoke, my voice raised ever so slightly.

"I don't believe you would, niece. But, to others, this looks bad. You have to understand that." I almost couldn't comprehend his words. Why would anyone believe I would hurt my father? All knew I loved him. So, why would I ever hurt him? The idea baffled me honestly.

"What should I do?" I asked him, looking at him carefully.

"Go, leave this kingdom, niece. I won't say anything about you being here, believe me." His words calmed me greatly as I stood, facing him.

"Where will I go?" I asked, stepped closer towards him.

"Ostax, my dear niece," He held up a hand to silence me as I voiced my objections, "It's not as violent as your father would have you believe. The deeper you go, the more dangerous it gets. If you stay as close to the border as you can, you will be safe, I promise you. Now, go. Palace guards will be here so and you cannot be seen near your father's body." He said, taking my hand and leading back to where my horse waited, watching as I mounted.

"Thank you, uncle. Take care of him and my mother for me, please?" I asked and he nodded as I pulled on the reins, leading my horse down a long, winding path. I rode across the border that separated Eidraes and Ostax, feeling a chill as I entered the darkness.

 I rode across the border that separated Eidraes and Ostax, feeling a chill as I entered the darkness