Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Surprise?" Luke grinned nervously.

"L-Luke?" I managed to say, my voice croaky from infrequent use.

Instead of answering, Luke hugged me tightly.

He pulled away and took in my skinny frame, horrified. "Oh, Perce, what happened to you!?"

"I-" I was cut off by someone yelling, "PERCY WHERE ARE YOU!?"

Luke swore and looked at me. "I'm going to assume you don't want them finding you."

I nodded.

"Come on." Luke grabbed my hand and ran, dragging me along with him.

As the two of us sped through the forest I examined Luke closely.

He looked no older than he did a couple of years ago, which surprised me.

Luke suddenly slowed down outside a group of bushes and let go of my hand. "We can hide in here."

I frowned, confused. I dug around in my backpack until I found a torch, and handed it to him.

"You came prepared." Luke flicked it on and walked towards the bushes. He pushed them aside and gestured for me to go through a small opening, holding out the torch for me. "Here. You'll be safe in there."

I hesitantly climbed through, worried it could be a trap.

As soon as I emerged from the bushes on the other side I immediately looked around, swinging the torch from side to side.

I saw sleeping bags in one corner, a stack of weapons in another, wait a minute...

I spoke up. "This is a-"

"Half blood hideout." Luke finished, climbing in after me. He reached up to a lantern and flicked it on, the room becoming bathed in a cosy glow. "This one was a little rushed but hey, it does the job."

I sat on the floor, leaning against the wall. "Luke?"

"Mmm?" Luke worked on covering the entrance with branches.

"How are you...well...not dead?"

Luke stiffened a little. "I-uh...may or may not have escaped the Underworld. Hades is probably trying to hunt me down as we speak."

"Why did you escape?"

"Because being dead is boring."

A smile appeared on my face for the first time in ages. "You left the Underworld because you were bored?"

"Yes! There aren't any monsters to fight in the Underworld, except for Cerberus. I'm going to assume you're the one who gave him that rubber ball that he always plays with?"

"No, that was Ann-" I couldn't even bring myself to say her name. I shook my head, tears forming.

"Woah, what's wrong?" Luke knelt in front of me, gazing into my eyes worriedly.

"Annabeth...she broke up with me." I managed to say before bringing my knees up and resting my head in my arms.

"I'm so sorry. You didn't deserve it at all." Luke put his hand on my shoulder but I flinched away.

"Why don't you trust me?" The hurt in his eyes made my heart ache.

"I just thought you'd hurt me just like everyone else." I mumbled. "Just like she did."

Luke put his finger under my chin and gently lifted it, gazing into my eyes. "I could never hurt you, Percy."

My breathing went a little shallow as his cerulean eyes bore into my own.