Chapter 4

A couple days later, they said I was good to go, so I was back at work.

I snuck up behind Kevin and jumped onto the wheeled office chair near him and slid across the hardwood floor.

Soon I slowly glided into this view, and gravity stopped the chair from going any further. "Hello, Kevin."

He smiled a bit, and his shoulders shook once with a short laugh. "Hi, Soph."

"Whatcha doin?" I asked, peering into the case files on his lap.

"Just checking through the case we're working on, but that can wait." he closed the folder and put it on his desk. "Sophie, do you know anyone that one wanna hurt you?"

I sighed, rubbing my forehead as I leaned back in my chair. "I don't know, Kev. I really don't."

He shook his head. "Hey, it's alright. I'm just trying to figure out who hurt my little sister. And when I do," he looked me straight in the eye, pointing at me. "I will kick their ass."

I smiled. Kevin always knew what to say. "I'm gonna go see Lanie and see if she has any updates." My brother nodded as I stood, making my way to the morgue.

***

"Hey Lanie." I chirped as I stepped through the doors. "Any updates?"

"Hi, Sophie." Lanie responded as she clicked something on her computer. "I found prints on one of the torture tools in the basement, I'm running them now."

I nodded. "Sweet."

Lanie stepped away from her computer and looked at one of the bodies with carvings in it. She sighed, "I just don't understand why anyone would wanna do something like this."

I was just standing and trying to understand Lanie's computer when suddenly it bleeped.

"Mind checking that? Just click 'open file' if it shows the prints." Lanie said. "I have to use the ladies room."

I nodded. "Yup." I leaned down to the computer and scrolled the mouse over where it said "open file" next to a picture of thumb prints.

Suddenly, my breath hitched as I froze in shock, my hand on the mouse trembling.

This has to be a mistake! I yelled at myself as my brain read from the file,

Danielle Valdez

..my old partner.

***

Hey guys! I'm extremely sorry it's so short, I promise I'll try to update soon!!