9 | Ocean Coast

I checked the clock. 6:05. Rain was softly pouring against the glass. There was no way I'd be able to fall back asleep. 

So I sat up, turned on the television, lowered the volume to practically mute, and flipped through the channels. The picture cut in and out, the lines on the screen flickering. Most of it was boring until one caught my eye.

"... And he was found just on the outskirts of the city," a reporter smiled at the camera. I squinted my eyes. In the back, I thought I saw Alex. His lip was swollen and there was dried blood caking it. "Alex Turner," the woman addressed. "Can you tell me why you're here at five in the morning?"

He looked straight into the camera. "Fuck off, please."

"Is it true you beat up Stephen Hayes at the party last night?" Another reporter yelled, shoving a mic in his face. Flash went off. At least fifteen reporters were crowded around Alex.

"No comment," he said, pushing the camera away from him. I sit up higher in my seat. Why is Alex hurt? What happened?

This was recorded an hour ago. I called Collin to see if he knew where Alex went—there was no response. I watched the channel for a while longer while I waited.

Eventually Collin answered my calls. He was furious with the news and immediately found people to scope out all online accounts of Alex's outburst. He decided it'd be best for all of us to switch hotels.

"This is terrible publicity. It's better to get him under the radar as of now." Collin's voice was scratchy, as if he hadn't gotten much sleep either. "I'll think of something once we find him."

I had to wake up everybody so we could check out. Nobody seemed particularly happy at the news. Nick packed most of everything up and Matt shuffled around in his pajamas trying to lighten up the mood. Jamie wanted to stay hidden underneath the covers until we had to physically get out the door.

"He's been taking this thing pretty hard," Matt mumbled.

"He needs to learn to deal with it better." Nick threw a shirt into a suitcase.

"I s'pose," Matt said, looking out the window. The glass had a thick line of dirt along its pane. Suddenly he stood up taller. "He's probably near the coast. Whenever he's drunk, he likes to contemplate things by himself. I'll go get him."

"The coast?"

Matt shrugged on his jacket. "You should come with me, Leah. After all, you saw what happened yesterday. We'll meet them at the other hotel. Alright?"

Nick nodded and Jamie made a noise under the sheets.

Without second thought, I slipped on my shoes and we left the hotel. Unlike during my arrival, the outside of the building was slick with fat raindrops. Palm trees swayed underneath a lilac sky. It wasn't that much of a walk, but it seemed to take a while before we saw rocks and sand in the distance.

"Does this happen much?"

Matt shook his head. "This is definitely a new thing."

I was glad that the air seemed to be cleared. "Sorry for everything."

"Why are you sorry?"

"I kind of got everybody in this mess."

"Nobody blames you," Matt laughed. "Things like this don't usually happen."

We made it to the ocean, choosing a direction and walking near the edge. The rocks were splattered with drops of mist, dark pebbles littered the coast, and clay seemed to peel underneath the swaying graze of the water's edge.

"So, did you ever find out what Alex was upset about?"

I pressed my lips together. "Arielle called him. Never told me what about."

"Ah," Matt said into the air.

The conversation soon picked up, and he told me funny stories of past incidents the band's gone through. Nick's done a different kind of shot every year on his birthday. They once found Jamie without his shirt on the roof of their hotel. He couldn't handle his alcohol that well, but his favorite drink was spiced cherry rum. All of his stories burn themselves in my brain.

We found Alex sitting on a large boulder, kicking his dress shoes off against the side of the rock. He had a pile of smaller ones at his side and had the black jacket of the tux behind him, wearing a white collared shirt with rolled up sleeves. The dried blood was gone.

"Al," Matt shouted, cupping his hands over his mouth.

Alex's head turned, and he fixed his hair, sitting up straighter.

Matt waved as we approached. "Hey, wasn't actually sure you'd be here. What happened?"

The boy on the rock shrugged, grimacing. His eyes looked a coffee colour in the morning light. "Had a few drinks. Stephen found me. Didn't go well."

Matt hopped up on the boulder beside him, kicking his own shoes off. Seagulls left small foot dents in the dark sand.

"Well, glad you're okay. But answer your phone next time."

Alex smiled, eyes downcast on the sand. "Alright."

The air was salty and light as it flickered in my chest. The two boys went at some banter and I heard them laugh about something I wasn't in on the joke for. I kicked off my shoes and socks, dipping my feet into cold, wet sand. The water kissed my toes.

Alex's feet squished the sand as he approached beside me. "Nice here, huh? I always seem to miss California when I'm gone."

Reminded me of back home as well, and Katie, surely stuck wondering what I had gotten myself into. I wasn't able to tell her anything... I forced the thought from my mind and focused on the lilac sky. "I'm going to miss it too."

Alex crouched down and cupped some water. It looked glassy in his hands. Then, proceeded to stand and splash me with it. He grinned. 

I felt the beads of water collect along my collarbone, dotting my face. A laugh bubbled up in my throat. "What was that for?"

"You splashed me first. This is just payback, darling."

I kicked water in his direction, heart fluttering.