27 | I'm Yours

He took a strand of hair and twirled it around in his finger. I lifted my chin up, eyes softened. "You know, I remember we were interrupted back at the motel."

Alex kissed around my ear, dragging his lips over the skin. "Oh, really?"

"It's a shame that Collin spilled over my shirt. Feels gross," I mumbled, shivering under his touch. My voice came out breathless. "It'd be much more comfortable if I had it off."

His hand wavered around the hem of my shirt. I felt his laugh and it did funny things to my stomach and pulse. Alex's voice came out rough, but almost nervous. "You sure know how to turn me on."

If there wasn't red already crawling up my throat and spilling into my face, it must have been now. My fingers shook when I peeled the sticky fabric from my stomach.

His eyes widened as he swallowed.

After I took it off, leaving me in that lace bra I had on earlier, my heart raced a million miles an hour. I was a little self-conscious about the size of my chest but I didn't let it bother me. The vulnerability made my lungs heave under the fluorescent lights.

"I was truly hoping I'd get to see you in that purchase earlier," he laughed, and I saw goose bumps on his arms. Alex traced his finger along my collarbone, words left underneath his breath. "Beautiful."

It was everything. Everything about him made my stomach twist into knots. I brushed my palms over the base of his jaw, holding in the heat of the touch and clinging onto every inch of skin I could. Then I brought him closer to me than I should've, and moved my lips against his. It was hot and damp, molten and electric; I was complete.

Alex pushed me against the wall.

"How could I have been so lucky," I whispered when I could breathe, "to know somebody so genuine, and—and kind." He stumbled slightly, hand moving down my stomach. I continued. "You make my heart thud so loud in my ears sometimes I'm afraid I'll burst."

He kissed me harder, letting out a soft moan.

His nose would brush against mine, tongue would run along my teeth, and I would melt entirely. Alex leaned away for a moment, his chest heaving. "I always knew you'd drive me mad, Leah. From the moment we met."

"Then we'll go insane together," I said.

Alex's eyes darkened slightly—or maybe it was the lights caving in on me. His gaze travelled up and down on my body and my breath hitched. "Collin's not going to want that, but it would pain me too much to see you go. So stay. We'll find a way around the plan. Please say that you're mine."

"I have been for a while," I whispered. "But yes—I wanna be yours."

"Say it again, for me," Alex mumbled, voice low, shutting his eyes. It looked like he was trying to keep the moment in his memory, and I was as well. There was something so raw and surreal about being such close quarters with straining lights and heavy concrete alone—the rest of the world felt detached from reality.

My head spun; my lips moved. "I wanna be yours."

Alex smiled softly, and it made my heart ache. He pulled me closer by the belt loops on my jeans, the knuckles of his thumbs barely touching the skin on my stomach. "I don't ever want to forget this moment." He rested his head on my forehead, voice scratchy. "But we should go—I'm sure everybody's wondering where we are, although I wish we had more time tonight."

I swallowed, his hair brushing against my head. My voice was slow to respond. "Right."

He picked up my shirt and handed it to me, grinning. "Unfortunately you have to wear this out. I'd much rather not see it on you, however."

I gave a short laugh and put the sticky fabric on again. "You sure have a way with words."

It was much less tense when we got back out to our seat, sliding in practically unnoticed. Everybody there was cracking each other up. Alex and I tried to join in on their conversation but failed. I wanted to be alone with him, but we settled for kicking each other's feet under the table for the rest of the night. I was happy with the alternative.