Chapter 1

"Great, you've shot him."
"Well what was I meant to do, give him a smoothie?"
"You didn't have to shoot him."
"It was either him or me."
"He was on the floor, unable to fight back, because of the four broken ribs you gave him."
" thats... not the point right now," I replied, throwing the used gun onto the floor.
Ethel stared at me for a moment, his furry face not showing an inch of amusement.
"What? At least I didn't kill him."
"Well done, do you want a gold star?"
Suddenly, the sound of police cars rang in the near distance.
"You need to hide," I told Ethel quickly.
"Where? Unfortunately I can't move more than 20 metres away from you."
"You know what I mean, do your thing."
"My thing? Ethel chuckled with amusement.
"You know, turn invisible," I replied
Ethel sighed, before doing as I asked.

"I thought it would be you." I heard a voice dictate from behind me.
"Well who else would get almost kidnapped on their way to school?" I replied, smirking and turning around to face the detective, a.k.a, my brother.
"Why are you always running into trouble?" He asked me, folding his arms and sighing.
"Well I ask myself everyday why I had to be related to you, yet that answer still escapes me."
"Well, my dear little sister, I don't have time for your antiques today so lets get this over and done with."

By nine in the evening I was back in my room. I was lying, upside down on my bed, throwing a ball I had found against a wall. Ethel was circling, as a bird, above my head. My long, wavy, chestnut brown hair was spread across the bed, each strand laying against my freshly washed duvet covers. Ethel stopped and perched on the bed. I rolled over, allowing Ethel to change into a husky on my bed.
"Nessa," He said, rolling over onto his side, "do you ever, wish I didn't exist?"
"No," I shouted back at him, rolling over and staring at him startled, "You're my best friend and I couldn't imagine my life without you, heck i couldn't live my life without you."

"I know," Ethel replied, slightly sadly.
"Come here," I said, hugging the husky next to me.

"What time is it?" I asked Ethel who I sensed was behind me.
"School."
In one second I was up, my eyes still bleary from waking up.
"I'm ready!"
"In your pyjamas?" Ethel asked
I sighed before slowly starting to get dressed.

I walked through the labyrinth that was our school's library. The one good point about this school was it's library. The bookcases stretched up to the ceiling, which reached 6 metres tall. You literally had to climb on ladders to get books. Ladders!!
Moving around the place was like making your way around a labyrinth. But after getting stuck overnight once, I pretty much knew the way around.

"You spend all your breaks in here," Ethel remarked at me, "Why don't you go and make some friends or something?"
"Well in here I don't have to spend my time talking to an invisible voice, and besides I already have friends."
"Who? And don't you dare say me."
"I was going to say Grace. She's my friend."
"Ok I take it back, you have one friend."
I rolled my eyes before going back to my book.

Suddenly I felt the eyes of someone gazing at me. I looked up. It didn't look like he could see Ethel so I relaxed a bit. In the next moment he was gone. Disappearing into a nearby aisle. I didn't care though. All that mattered was that I could go back to my book in peace.