Chapter 4

Connor looked down at the sleeping girl on the couch. She really did look cute when she wasn't talking back at you. He peered into her face, leaning over so her face was just below his.
Suddenly I woke up, slamming my forehead into his head, causing him to walk back in surprise.

"Ouch what was that for?" Connor asked, running his hand through his hair.

"What was that for?" I asked rubbing my forehead, "you were literally peering over me whilst I was sleeping."

"I guess that was a little weird," Connor admitted.

"And it took you that long to realise it?"

"Why were you sleeping on the couch
anyways? You have a bed."

"Do you remember when I asked for your opinion?" I asked, cocking my head to one side.

Connor looked at me, slightly surprised.

"Well me neither."

"Do you really need all this stuff?" Ethel asked me as he lazed on my bed, his paws slightly catching on the duvet covers.

"Well I am staying here for the near future," I replied, pulling all the clothes out of the drawers and replacing it with my own, "besides, we went everywhere that we could think of yesterday and there was no trace of my existence. We couldn't even find my birth records."

"That might be because the life you used to have doesn't exist," a voice said from behind me.

I turned around suddenly to see Rye standing in the door archway. At the sight of Rye, Ethel scrambled to turn invisible.

"Your little friend doesn't need to hide. Connor isn't here."

Ethel turned visible again. He then proceeded to jump off the bed and change into a german shepherd and rested his  great shaggy head on my lap.

"What do you mean I don't exist?" I asked Rye whilst reaching down and stroking Ethel's fluffy head.

"I've looked everywhere on every single database, including the Warlock one. The life you used to have doesn't exist."

"You're a Warlock?" I inquired

"Yes but thats not the point right now. The point is that I think someone has changed your memories."

"What do you mean changed our memories?" Ethel asked Rye.

"There's a block on both of your minds, performed by a Warlock much stronger than me. I don't think I would be able to undo it. I don't know what's happened but a Warlock changed your memories so that you can't remember your actual life."

I was to stunned to say anything, looking at Rye with confusion.

"Look this is probably a lot to take in Nerissa, but just so you know i'm here for you."

"So what you are saying is that the life i currently remember, didn't happen?" I asked Rye, "also how do you know that my name's Nerissa?"

"For now let's just say that I used to know you,"

Ethel and I looked at each other in amazement.

"As my friend Nessa, you can stay here for however long you need to, and I will do whatever I can to restore your memories."

"Thanks," I muttered, thinking things over in my head.

"But I do have one request."

"Anything," Ethel replied.

"Try not to kill Connor, he's a jerk but he can be nice sometimes," Rye smirked, before leaving the room.

"Am I allowed to say it?" I asked Ethel, looking at him pleadingly.

"Fine," he replied turning his head to one side and sighing.

"MY WHOLE LIFE IS A LIE," I yelled at the top of my voice, before laughing and flopping on my bed beside Ethel.

"How can you stay so light hearted?" Ethel asked me, "we've just found out that we probably had different lives."

"Adrenaline?" I replied rolling onto my stomach and moaning into the pillow, "Why is my life so hard?"

"Your life is hard? I have to turn invisible after every second just so that I don't become a lab rat!" Ethel yelled

"Maybe you should show yourself to the world. I can see it now. Magic shapeshifting animal lives with human girl, we could go on tours, do inteviews. We could make millions!"

Ethel looked at me with his 'are you serious?' face.

"What? It was a genuine idea."

In the next few days the amount of customers in the small agency had grown immensely. Connor was running back and forth between customers trying to write down what they needed help with, I was trying to solve, or get leads on the customers' problems, so that later Connor could go out and do what needed to be done and Rye... well Rye continued to sit on the couch and read whatever book had grasped his attention. Today that book was Jane Eyre.

"Ok can you please at least try and help, instead of developing a man crush for Mr Rochester?" I asked Rye, placing both my hands on my hips.

Rye blushed and i instantly knew that i had hit home.

"Get ya butt off of that couch and get to work!" I yelled at him, hitting him with a rolled up file.

"You may have lost your memories," Rye grumbled, "But you are still the same."

Then he grumbled off to help Connor with some customers. I felt Ethel perch on my shoulder. He was invisible, but his presence was assuring.

"Back to work?" He whispered in my ear.

"Yup," I replied, sighing at how hectic my life had come in only a few days.

Sorry for the bad chapter. It will get better i promise!!