Chapter Nineteen

Time slipped away again. It could have been a year, or maybe even a century. I didn’t care. I was with Lucien, my husband, and he was everything I needed here. Venus was still my shadow, following my every move. She was so big that she finally grew into those massive paws of hers. I loved her ice blue eyes, but it hurt to remember who else shared those icy colored eyes.

She enjoyed listening to me read. She was keeping my feet warm as I was laying on the couch. Her eyes watched me as she rested her head on her front paws. I was reading a book that was published in Greek. It made me wonder how difficult it would be to learn Greek if your first language used the Romanized alphabet. I just knew it because of my dad.

Unlucky humans.

Lucien was admiring me from across the room, smiling and observing quietly, and I didn’t even realize what I did until after I did it.

I wasn’t paying attention to the book and just read the prayer out loud.

“Shit.”

“Aimee!” Lucien yelled and rushed to my side.

“Does that count?”

“Ahhh, there you are, Aimee! Seems like you disappeared for a time.” A booming but kind voice laughed.

“Don’t take her from me, please! I beg you!” Lucien pleaded into thin air.

“My dear Lucien, you can’t keep her prisoner here. It simply isn’t safe, or natural. You don’t know what time could do to her here.”

“I don’t want to leave Lucien.” I whispered.

“You are needed elsewhere, Aimee. You must leave.”

I looked at Lucien through my crying, bright blue eyes. He gripped me tighter and his tears made my shirt wet. My heart felt like it was tearing in two.

“I love you, Lucien. I don’t want to leave you. I’m so sorry. I didn’t even know…”

“Don’t take her. Please, please, please, please, please.”

“I have to, Lucien. You’ll see her again someday, I promise you.”

Suddenly, Lucien’s arms weren’t around me anymore. I couldn’t hear the crashing waves anymore, or feel the cool breeze that had been coming through our open windows.

I just felt hollow and sad.

But I opened my eyes and I was in Heaven. I stood on clouds, blue sky stretched forever above me, and the sun shined. It was so beautiful, but it was more feeling than sights. My mom had her hands clapped over her mouth and I launched myself into her arms.

“Mom, I’m so sorry. I couldn’t save you. I tried.” I blubbered.

“No, shhh, baby.” She patted my hair. “It’s okay.”

“I love you.”

“I know, but look,” She turned me around. “Your grandmother is here.”

I looked at the young woman standing in front of us. “Grandmother? You’re… Young.”

“Look at your hair! I’ve never seen it this long!” Mother exclaimed as I hugged Grandmother. Even though her face wasn’t as familiar, her hugs were still just as firm and just as loving.

“Aimee, are you feeling alright?” God asked.

I thought about it. I was happy to see my mom and grandmother but not as happy as I should have been. I still felt numb. When Reven had showed me the Creation, even seeing Heaven almost made me cry happy tears. Now… Not so much. I actually felt kind of dizzy or lightheaded.