3. meeting his blood

AKESIS

Waking up was something I only found within my deepest, most calming dreams. The room that appeared when I opened my eyes had sunlight streaming through the windows with the softness not usually associated with fall. For a few moments, utter bliss settled in my bones, nestling in the marrow of me. I simply stared at the spot where the white ceiling met the large windows. One of them was open at a side panel and a gentle breeze blew in.

My hands felt the sheets, slipping over the soft, flannel material that held no identification of scent besides fabric softener and disuse. Slowly, I sat up, the night's events gradually caught up. My eyes traveled around the barren room; it was empty, nothing like mine. There were no books or CDs, photos or posters, only what looked to be a small trinket. It was a wolf carved of stone sitting on the end table, a single yellow eye staring straight into mine. There were three doors, each of them closed.

I turned to look out the windows, my eyes instantly falling on the vast blue that stretched to the horizon.

The Ocean.

My breath stopped, heart stuttered. It was so beautiful and powerful looking. Expanseless and untamed. I fell in love with it in a way where you know you can't be loved back, at least not at first.

Scooting to the edge of the bed for a closer look, my feet slipped down to the floor. Instead of meeting the carpet however, it was a warm body of fur. I yelped in shock and sprung onto the bed as the wolf shot up, knocking into the dresser as he sprawled in distress. A rippled crack sounded into the air and I noticed the large dent in the side of it.

The both of us faced each other, panting heavily. I was standing on the bed, him hunched by the door, slowly letting the fur on his spine lower. Closing my eyes, I rubbed my face, laughing softly.

This was the wolf from last night. My mate. Thadal. "You scared me."

Thadal huffed.

Lowering my hands from my face, I took in his large form that made this room appear small. I wondered if this was his room? He looked beautiful and all too real in the natural light that filtered in. My body relaxed when our eyes met.

A smile split my face, so wide and happy it hurt my cheeks. I wanted to laugh and throw my arms around his neck as his eyes lit up. I saw something in him; a future. It was full of family, connection, love. It was full of things I never remembered having.

As I moved to get up, to go to him, I noticed I was still in last night's white cotton dress. My hair still hung in braids and curls that had gotten messy and unkempt in my sleep. Everything rushed back fast, despite the drugs it was clear. I realized the last time I saw this wolf, there was blood on his muzzle. Alpha's detatched hand on the ground, the presentation, the demonstration, dancing with him, the light music, being outside, being put into a car...

Confusion and fear seeped into the heart of me, I knew some about mates, but not enough. Romanov had only recently found one, but it had taken awhile and only occasionally did I see them together. I knew nothing of where I was, or who he was.

"Shift back!" I cried out, standing up. I was wishing my voice didn't shake, wishing I wasn't scared again. My feet were carrying me backwards, away from the future. "Please!"

The large male was taken aback by my tone, in fact, he recoiled from it, growling with a sharp intensity. Immediately, he was hunched over with a whine and yawn, muscles and bones noisily rearranging into the form of human flesh and shape. Thadal crouched on the floor before me, his tanned, freckled skin bare to me. He was a big male, full grown, right on the threshold of his prime. Every muscle prominent and worked hard. Warmth bloomed in my cheeks, desire flushed through me even in my state of panic. I was struck once again with how much I was falling for this male. Even if just on the surface for now. I watched his head tip up, nostrils flaring in my direction. He was taking in my scent.