18. forked paths

AKESIS

Changes that happen beneath your nose are truly a fork in the path. Same with the ones that happen in mere moments. The path of life, the one you're destined to follow. It has an end, but when or why is really far from grasp. Usually.

The fork in the path is forged by possibility. Pick one way and you could end up kidnapped and taken back to a Lab that had become filled with lies and memories with holes so deep you could lose yourself. Pick the other and you could have waited a few extra hours and found yourself in the tight embrace of your beloved. It's a thin, dangerous line. It's the difference between life and death.

My fork was the phone call.

I opened my eyes without any trouble. No fanfare or commotion. Just a simple blink and then white. There was dull light coming through the shutters by the door streaming onto the large bed I laid upon. This wasn't my bed.

My clothes had been changed and replaced by a white cotton dress. It was similar to the one I wore when I met Thadal.

Dread hit me hard. The past rushed back to me; the phone call, running, cold, the trap. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I was back at the Lab. There was no question about it.

I lifted my arm to brush away the tears but my hand was restrained. I tugged once, twice. The cry left my lips and I buried my face into my shoulder to stop the noise. For the first time in my solid memory; my world crashed down around me.

Life seemed to float away from my grasp, I watched it go. I felt myself dim. Thadal may have taken me once, but he wouldn't be so lucky a second time. At least he was out of range, the mindlink was dull static. He was safe. That's what mattered most, but it didn't take the bite of lonliness away.

Romanov got what he wanted. Always. 

There was a new feeling inside of me; anger. I had no real memory of this anger, it was a foreign feeling. My hands tingled, numb, and my heartbeat was loud in my ears. I was so, so angry. Was it myself? Romanov? Thadal?

Stopping short, breathing hard. The only person to be blamed was me. The beautiful, hopeful curse of curing. Had I been a normal wolf...

A low growl like moan left my lips, head falling back against the headboard. This was hopeless.

I had to be smart. Strong.

I had to get to him.

- - -

When Romanov came in, he brought another male along. My eyes widened. The new male stood back a few steps, arms folded over his chest. He smelled so severely of saltwater. His blonde hair was neatly combed back and his blue eyes were hard and intelligent. I knew this wolf; the one who had caught Thadal and I shifting back, the one who didn't get what he really wanted.

"Akesis, meet my new ally; Vayne."

Vayne's lips curled in a predator's smile. All teeth exposed, posture full of empty intent. I could see his skin was too big for him; his insides all small, immature. His wishes were so shallow, so easy to read. Nothing good would come from this wolf.

How easy it was to make enemies.

"Now that you're back in the business, I feel it's only appropriate we give you a-"

I cut him off, "I know you're a liar."

He raised one dutiful eyebrow. I tracked Vayne's movement through a side glance.

"My memories, I'm not from here. You're drugging me. Using me for my blood." I choked on the tears in my throat. "And Thadal. You never had him did you?"