12. law of balance

THADAL

When the truck rolled into the loop of the driveway in front of the packhouse, hardly a second blinked by before Akesis flung from the doorway and sprinted towards the vehicle. I slammed the car into park and hopped out, opening my arms just in time to catch her flying form. Merely a day without each other and we were starved. Her arms curled around my neck as her legs followed suit around my torso, hugging me tight to her. Snow was falling softly intermixed with sharp rain from the gray sky, flakes caught in her hair and mixed with the raindrops. She looked like the Earth Goddess, her dark complexion sharp against the gray.

Eyes made of the globe found mine, holding, embracing. We lasted a moment, locked in our gazes before our mouths came together. The kiss was soft but so full. It was everything; a hello, an I missed you, a tenderness that burned between the two of us.

Cheeks pink and warm, she buried her face in my neck once we broke apart. Her nostrils flared as she inhaled my skin and pressed one last delicate kiss to my mark. A shudder passed through my shoulders and the need to readjust or even take off my pants itched at the back of my mind.

"I missed you," she murmured as I set her back on her feet. I tapped her nose gently in response. "Beep."

I smiled broadly, exposing my teeth. She didn't flinch away from my canines as most did. Oh how much I had missed this female. I hadn't thought it possible.

"Look!" She's grinning right back, ear to ear, In her hand was a strand of her hair that is no longer a milk chocolate color but instead a pale shade of lavender. I took the hair into my fingers, studying it, bringing it to my nose and making her giggle.

"Very nice," I complimented. The resulting smile from her was brilliant. She really was a Sun of the Spring; warm, pleasant. Much needed after a long Winter's cold and distress.

"Thadal," called my father. "How was the South?"

"They're fine, brought back our trade." Kennet pulled the hatch of the truck down to show off the random supplies we had acquired that will help us out for the wet and cold Winter that would only worsen from then on.

"Good, all looks well. I'm proud of you males." My dad wrapped his arms around Kieran and my shoulders. He squeezed us together, knocking our heads. Our growls were simultaneous, shoving him and his deep belly laughs away. "Both of you on the training field in an hour, you missed out this morning. But first, someone is back for interrogation."

My eyes met his and I knew who he meant.

Akesis, ever good at reading wolves, interjected. "I told Jermayne I would go look at the greenhouses. Catch up with you later?"

I tasted her smile on my lips and she trotted away. I didn't want her to leave my side, but duty called. Our trio headed inside, boots crunching on the patchy wet snow.

"When did he get in?" I asked my father.

"Yesterday night. He was very apologetic."

We strode into the living area where the male perched on the edge of one of the couch cushions. Suddenly to me he looked very shifty and uncertain, yet there was a steely resolve in his eyes.

"Alpha." He stood, bowing his head, I wasn't sure who he was addressing. "I am so sorry for catching you in a wrong moment. I was on patrol-"

I held up a hand, annoyed by his tongue. His voice cut off immediately. Just looking at him had me disgusted, he was a smart wolf, but also a weak one. Strength doesn't beg or plead, it doesn't make up excuses and panic. "Tell us why you fled."