Interlude: The End of the Road

72 hours.

The Doctor froze when he heard the crack, but he didn't dare to believe what had happened when the breach closed down. "Systems closed," the computer announced.

He dropped down and ran for the wall, reaching Jessie's side. He looked down at her in horror, seeing where her skull had caved in, blood staining her hair. He swallowed, seeing her eyes wide open, but staring at nothing. No. But he still knew. And even then, he knelt down to check her neck. That made it seem like the floor dropped out from underneath him.

Nothing.

He took a deep breath, sitting back on his heels and looking down at Jessie. "You stubborn girl," he managed to say, shaking his head. "You just had to let go."

Of course, he didn't get an answer. And he still didn't know how to take this. Because even though he knew it was true, he kept denying it.

Jessie was dead. Dead as a doornail, to use Charles Dickens's words. He shook his head when another thought froze him.

The SHIELD team.

"I'm dead," he whispered in shock.

***

"Director?"

Jemma paid little attention to the SHIELD agent who had just entered the room. Director Fury barely looked up. "Yes?"

"There are people here who say this is an emergency."

"Tell them I'm busy."

The agent left, and Fury turned to look at Coulson. "HYDRA?"

"Mainly wiped out," Coulson replied, folding his arms. "There are still a few we haven't rooted out yet."

Jemma frowned at her phone. "I still haven't gotten a reply from Skye."

"You'd think she'd be done with her op by now," Fitz said, frowning as well.

May shrugged. "Maybe she was caught up with something else?"

Fury straightened. "When you get in contact with her, tell her to report back here ASAP. We'll need her help with - "

"Sir."

That agent was back again. Fury turned, looking annoyed. "Yes?"

The agent swallowed. "They said they believe it to be of upmost importance."

"Oh? Did they say why?"

The agent shook his head. "There was one, though, who said something about . . . Cardiff? A big green thing and an . . . extrapolator?"

Jemma straightened instantly. "Description," she ordered.

"Agent Simmons - " Fury said, turning to her.

But Fitz had straightened as well. "Their description," he demanded.

The agent nodded. "World War II style coat, dark hair, American, but his companions are Welsh."

Jemma's eyes widened, and she ran past the agent instantly. "Agent Simmons!" Fury barked, but she kept running. She made it to the waiting area, and she stopped short in surprise.

Standing there, arms folded, was one certain and very alive - "Jack?" she whispered.

He turned, a grim smile on his face. "Hey, Jemsie."

She ran at him, and he hugged her tightly. "I thought you were on that station!"

"I was," he admitted, shaking hands with Fitz as Coulson, May, and Fury joined him. "And then I came back." He turned to his two companions as they stood from their seats. "These are two other members of my team, Ianto Jones and Gwen Cooper."