Chapter Eight: Promise

P E R C Y U S

I woke up with a killer headache. My head pounded in the after taste of the whiskey that surged through my veins, adding a familiar ache to my body. I wasn't proud of getting drunk so often, it just happened.

I groaned and rolled to the side, dragging myself out of bed. I stumble into the bathroom flicking on the light. I catch a glimpse in the mirror, disgusted by the bags under my eyes and the bloodshot eye whites adorning my green irises. I shook my head and flipped my middle finger up at my self, shutting off the lights.

I hauled myself to my dresser and lazily threw on a pair of shorts, and didn't even bother with a shirt. The pack knew after every pack party I'd stroll in looking like this, king or not. I was about to leave the room, but I heard a small squeak from the other room, and a scuttle.

My body moved quicker than I could imagine to her room, where I peeked in through the slightly ajar door. She was sound asleep, her face scrunched up, her eyebrows furrowed in sleep as she tossed to the side. I disappeared from the room, not wanting to leave my scent in it, then she'd know I was spying.

I descended the stairs and into the main hall where it was bustling with pack members rushing to snag some food. They all bowed to me and acknowledged me, going back to their eating. I jumped the line, hurrying to get some food and aspirin to ward off the aching. I settled at the head of the table with my food and six aspirins.

They worked quickly and effectively, making the ache in my body and head soon dissolve into a soft dull buzz in my bones. I slowly ate, feeling groggy and sluggish. I was about to eat another bite of my waffle when a pain blossomed in my stomach and stopped me short.

     I grimaced in pain, the feeling settling atop my ribs. I slowly started to feel around my ribs, poking and prodding to find an injury. When I hit a certain spot I muttered a curse, the sensation as if my bone was out of place. I bit my lip and kept eating, reminding myself to visit the doctor today to get it checked out.

     I was resting my dish in the sink when a sudden crack filled the air and I slumped over in pain, "Fuck!"

     The pain only got worse, erupting from the same spot that ached before. I grit my teeth and growled, holding my side tightly as if that would help the pain. I gripped the counter tightly, breathing heavily. I wondered why I was feeling pain when my wolf's voice thundered in my head, MATE!

     I pushed through the pain, a deafening roar escaping me, parting the crowd that had formed around me. They all scattered, frightened by my sudden uproar. I took the stairs three at a time, despite the pain in my torso. I burst into the guest room where my mate was housed and saw her curled up on the bed, holding her side gingerly.

     "What happened?!" I yelled, my tone coming out harsher than I intended.

     Her eyes grew wide in fright and she scrambled into a sitting position. I suddenly felt the pain again and bit my cheek, however she didn't even wince. I calmed myself down, knowing I would get no where if I kept shouting. "What happened to your ribs? I can feel the pain."

     She gasped and suddenly her eyes welled up with tears as her body shook with fear, "I'm sorry, Percyus!"

     I closed my eyes, letting my breaths become even even though my wolf dominance wanted to correct her for not answering my question. "Why is there pain in your ribs?"