The Intended and the Consequent

A/N: As promised, an update as fast as lightning! Hehe. Enjoy! The next update will come on Sunday/Saturday as usual ^^

________________________________

The darkness was not something he was accustomed to. With bated breath, the eagle squinted his eyes and did his best to make sense of the shadows that weaved in and out, crafting patterns of uncertainty that plagued his mind and sullied the heart.

Very often, Luka Sullivan was accompanied by the light of his very own moon—one that was not afraid to be different in the face of a darkness so complete and undisturbed. The eagle himself was apart from the strength that he'd witnessed thus far. Following, choosing the light was one thing. Being it was another.

Minutes later, he came upon a familiar-looking tree that he once crossed, having examined its roots for any sign of Io's trace. The distinct stripes of a sunflower seed however, was nowhere to be found and this could only mean that Luka had combed every spot within a ten to twenty-meter radius of the last shell he'd spotted—to no avail.

Are you sure about this? His Avian asked for the third time, unable to fathom his blind determination of pressing on. We've been going around in circles for God-knows-how-long, searching for the next sunflower seed in the middle of the night! Luka, do you need to be reminded of your poor sense of vision under the absence of light?

Victoria landed on a low branch, coming close to smacking her head on the trunk of another tree. You're diurnal for fuck's sake! Oh, did I use that correctly? I hope I did. Knock some sense into that empty head of yours.

Luka had resorted to weaving through the undergrowth by crouching low and parting it with his hands, scanning every leaf and blade of grass that could have unintentionally hidden the shell of a sunflower seed.

Io's counting on me, said the eagle who could not afford anything other than a simple response. It was, after all, a key aspect of his character. Unbeknownst to him, however, was that this very simplicity of his thoughts would soon prove detrimental to his sanity.

What could have remained a mere promise would become the key in which the simple desperation to keep it, turned—unlocking the creature within and commencing its rampage.

A destruction of his humanity.

Victoria landed on the earth beside him and parted several ferns with her beak, searching despite the series of complaints she'd made over the past few hours.

Sure thing, Luka. Go ahead. Don't even stop to consider the possibility that he just ran out of shells, she quipped sharply, unable to pause her daily dose of sarcasm.

At this, Luka stared. He blinked twice at the root he was inspecting. Oh.

His Avian turned to him with a snap. You can't be serious! Haven't you considered that hours ago? With a single beat of her wings, she flew to perch on a branch that was higher up. Excuse me, the last I checked, I was the one with the bird brain. Perhaps by some awful miracle, we managed to swap minds and you are now my Avian while I, the Winged.

It's not like I know how many packets he brought along, reasoned Luka.

He did not sound very defensive in his head, but neither was he careless enough to let the matter slip through his fingers without a stand. A solution had to be drafted; and most preferably in the shortest time possible.