- 8)

Caitlin Nora Strausser
Chapter 8: I summon you, Ygliaas!

----

Clary's P.O.V:

We went back to the apartment of Mary. She ordered the kids to get candles, a lot of candles, and a pocketknife 'from the kitchen'. Still, I wondered what she did with a pocketknife in her kitchen.. with children in her house.

Maybe I shouldn't question a warlock's ways. Maybe I should just sit down and wait until Mary found a way to summon Ygliaas so we could finally go home, back to New York, with a cured Magnus.

I took out my writingblock and sit down on the pure white couch, my back leaning to the armrests. I had placed a cushion between the armrest and my back to protect my back from getting hurt. I grab a pencil, the writingblock and an eraser. 

I place the pencil on the drawing I had already begun at. Max Lightwood. Why did I even draw him? Was I feeling guilty or something? I mean.. Sebastian stayed longer in Alicante because he wanted to kidnap me from The Gard. I sigh and my hand automatically moves over the paper, drawing lines and stips and facial features. 

Not much time later I see Jace looking over my shoulder. He gasped quietly, as if he didn't want to bother anyone with his surprise. I look at him. "A-and..?" "It's beautiful," he whispers. I look better at him and his eyes. Was he.. tearing up? Jace Herondale, tearing up?

"Jace, are you okay?" "I-I'm okay," he says, smiling sadly at me. He wipes a curl out of my face. "Continue. Show me when you finished it. Me and the Lightwoods, I guess they will appreciate this." He leans away.

I set the tip of the pencil on the paper again and magic worked its way. Max Lightwood became more detailed and more realistic. I was in a trance of imagination and focus. That was why I jumped up when I felt someone tugging on my jeans. 

I look down and see Caitlin, the little warlock with fiery red hair and small black wings. She wears a cute white top with a shimmering red heart in the middle. Over it she has a greenish jacket and some cute denim jeans. She looks up to me with her big green eyes. She looks quite like me..

"Mawy told mwe thaw she was weady fow the 'twask'," she says with pouted lips. "Thank you Caitlin. Hey.. do you want to draw?" She nods. I sit straight and lift her onto my knee. "Here, take this pencil and make a drawing on this empty paper. I have to go to Mary now.." "Thank you Clawy!" "No problem," I say to her, kissing her on her head.

I leave the livingroom but I turn around to look at Caitlin. She has her tongue stick out her mouth in concentration, her eyes narrowed and her legs dangle back and forward. Such a little cutie.. to think that she will never grow old like humans was a weird thought. Sure, she would grow for a few years, but not too many.

I close the door separating Mary's office from the livingroom and walk further inside. The room was lit by the candles around the pentagram. All candles were bloodred and the carving of the pentagram was black in the wooden floor. Mary stands by the one of the tips of the star. The others were standing around.

Mary looks at me with a sad face, one hand on Femme's shoulder. She only stared at the symbol from which her father will rise within not long. I stand at one of the tips. Jace, Alec, Femme and Mary stand at one as well. Isabelle was fighting, saying she wanted to take place in the ceremony as well, but Mary grew bored and irritated and put a silencing charm on her.

That's why Isabelle sits on Mary's chair behind her desk, crossed arms and pouted lips like a child who didn't get cookies when she asked for it. Maryse stands by her side, hands folded before her stomach. Her thumbs were fighting each other.

Mary looks around at us. "Everyone ready. If not, I ask you to not participate. We can't use that right now." She looked sternly around the circle but we all nodded. We knew the risks, we knew the consequences.

"Then it is time to summon Ygliaas," she sighs, her purple snake-like eyes litting up in the flames of the bloodred candles.