We Can Steal This Car if Your Folks Don't Mind Pt. 2

Requested by https://www.quotev.com/ImWeirdWhatsWrongWithYousBackup 

"Y/n, the boss wants to see you in his office." My colleague, Hayden, said, poking her head into my office.

I looked up from the documents spread out across my desk and I gave her a pained expression. "Are you kidding me? I'm trying to finish the story he assigned me last week."

She shrugged. "Don't shoot the messenger sweetheart. Besides, how do you know he's not going to give you a raise? You've been writing all these amazing stories and have tripled our profits! You clearly have won his favor." She assured me.

I smiled, despite myself. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Besides, if worse comes to worse, I'll finish this story." She shuffled through the pages on my desk.

I chuckled. "Fine, fine. I think I've kept the boss waiting long enough."

"Yes, go." She shoved me out the door and I walked down the hall to the boss's office.

I knocked tentatively on the door and pushed it open slightly. "Sir? You wanted to see me?"

"Yes Y/n, come in." He called and I stepped into the office. He smiled up at me. "How's the story coming along? Are you making progress?"

I nodded. "Yes, it's almost done."

His smiled brightened. "Excellent!"

"Is that all?" My hope started to falter a little bit.

"No," He started, his face falling slightly. "You see, I just got off the phone with a very important person who needs to reschedule his interview. Since Wendy is still on maternity leave, I decided you could take her place."

"Really?" I asked, trying to not groan in annoyance.

He nodded. "Yes. So," He handed me a business card. "Here's the address of where you two are supposed to meet and you better get going our you'll be late."

I stopped. "What?"

He started to push me out the door. "You're having lunch today. Better hurry or you'll get caught up in traffic and punctualness is key!"

"Wa-" He cut me off by shutting the door and I let loose the groan of frustration.

I looked at the business card and sighed. "Whoever you are, you better be important."

"Seriously?" I groaned again. I was standing in front of a very nice apartment building. "I have to do a home interview? These feel so impersonal."

I entered the complex and spoke with the front desk. After proving I wasn't a stalker, I was allowed up to the fourth floor to apartment 4C.

I knocked on the door and a woman answered and smiled. "Can I help you?" She asked cheerfully.

I nodded. "I'm here for the interview. I'm sure my employer called?"

She thought for a moment before nodding. "Yes, he did. Come in." She gestured for me to enter and I smiled. "You must be Y/n."

"Yes, I'm she." I nodded.

"Well, Gerard is in his office down the hall if you'd like to conduct the interview there." The world froze. Gerard. I did all I could to keep from running down the hall to see him. It couldn't be true, it just couldn't.

And yet, it was. There he was, sitting at his desk, typing away on his computer. He looked up at me and his jaw dropped a little. "Y/n?" He whispered so faintly, I almost couldn't hear him.

I smiled shyly. "Hi, Gerard. It's good to see you again."

The corner of his mouth quirked up ever so slightly. "Hi. You must be here for the interview."

I nodded and sat in front of the desk. I pulled out my little notebook and flipped to the questions Wendy had prepared that Hayden gave me before I left the office. "So, question one-"

"Sorry, but if you don't mind, can we talk, off the record?" He asked.

I nodded slowly and closed my notebook. "What do you want to talk about?"

He looked flabbergasted for a moment before saying, "Well first off, how are you?"

I smiled. "I'm, well, fantastic. I've got a great job, wonderful friends, a couple of nieces and nephews, and," I paused. "An adoring boyfriend."

He smiled softly. "Wow. Looks like you got it all figured out then, huh? And you were so worried about your future when you were in high school."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I guess I was a bit overdramatic back then." I shook my head. "But you! You've had such an amazing career as a musician and now you're a fantastic comic book artist! Looks like you've got the best of both worlds then."

He laughed. "Yeah, I did. But I made so many amazing friends, learned so much from all the places I've been to, I'm married and have a daughter I love more than life itself."

I blinked before I remembered. "Right. Bandit and Lyn-Z."

"Yeah. They're perfect." He muttered.

"I bet they are." I mused, and memories of high school started to trickle into my mind. I could almost feel my heart cracking and I wonder if Gerard felt the same.

He shook his head, bringing himself back to reality. "We should, um, probably get back to the interview."

I gave a lopsided smile. "Hey, Geegee?" I asked.

"Yes?" He tried to suppress a laugh.

"Can we reschedule? I want to catch up with my best friend from high school first?" I inquired, hoping he wouldn't get too mad.

He laughed this time. "Of course! I was thinking the same thing. We can, uh, steal my car if your folks don't mind?"

"Of course not!" I couldn't stop laughing. "But tell me, did you ever get your bike back from Nathalie?"

He shook his head, still laughing. "Nope. She never finished it so I sold it to her for forty-five dollars."

"What a deal."