Chapter 12- The Beginning of the End

Hadley's POV:

I woke up unsure of what was going on around me. Where was I? I heard the beeping of monitors and felt a hand in mine. I tried to take my hand back and the other person let go. That's when I heard someone get up. They sat down next to me on the bed as I felt my leg shift. I felt someone tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. I opened my eyes to find Callie staring back at me.

I opened my mouth to talk but it was so dry that my words sounded more like a cough.
"Cawie?"
"Hi Sweetheart." She smiled.

Her smile was so nice. It always reached her eyes. It was big and took up half her face. She always looked happy when she smiled.
I took a moment to take in my surroundings. I was back at the hospital. In the same looking room as before. Bare walls with some children's decorations. I could feel my eyes pulling me back into sleep. I was so tired. I tried to keep them open, but it wasn't working. Callie kissed my forehead and rubbed my hand.

"Go back to sleep sweetheart. Your body needs it." She whispered.

I closed my eyes letting the heaviness take over and soon a fuzzy darkness came upon me.

When I woke up again I noticed the room was dimmed and it was dark outside. How long had I been asleep? Then it hit me. I closed my eyes as a shooting pain ripped through my stomach. I felt my face cringe as the pain intensified. Chills suddenly ran down my body, but I felt like I was sweating too. I felt a soft hand tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. I opened my eyes and a small tear trickled down the side of my cheek.

"I hurt" I let out in a forced whisper as I felt the energy being taken from me.

"I know baby, I know." Arizona spoke as she nodded towards Callie who got up and left the room.

I closed my eyes again trying to aleave my body of the pain, but it wouldn't go away. I felt weak and tired. Any movement of my body sucked away my energy. I could tell Arizona was still sitting on my bed above me as the weight of the bed never shifted and the grip on my hand never changed. It was nice to have someone who cared about you. Even two somebodies who cared about you. Then I heard Alex's voice. I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying until I felt the IV in my arm being moved.

"Huh?" I asked opening my eyes again.

"Alex is just putting some medication in your IV. It's going to help you sleep." Callie said sitting down on the other side of the bed next to me.

I felt a cool liquid enter my veins, but thankfully it didn't hurt. I don't know if I cared if it hurt. Alex left the room, but Callie and Arizona didn't go back to there seats. Instead, I felt my body being slowly lifted up by someone. I could tell by the hands and the warmness of the arms it was Callie. Then another pair of hands grabbed me and pulled me down. It was Arizona. I rested my head on her chest and curled my legs up on her. I felt her arms wrap around my shivering body. I felt Callie get into the bed next to us and drape my blanket over us all. I tried to melt my body into Arizona's feeling my fatigue continue to weaken me.

"Sleep Hadley. We have you." I heard Arizona whisper into my ear as she placed a kiss on the top of my head. I closed my eyes letting sleep take me once more.

10 days later:

Dialysis had somewhat been helping me as the week went on but I felt myself get weaker every day. Arizona and Callie had hardly been leaving my side. I can see the bags under Callie's eyes and sometimes when Arizona comes back into my room I can see a stain of a tear down her cheek. Not only did I feel terrible for dragging them into my life, but I could barely stay awake for longer than an hour at a time. I had met more doctors around the hospital too. Some were interns on my case, but others were Arizona's and Callie's friends and they would watch me when they needed to get food or shower. I was hardly ever by myself. It was nice. It was around 4 in the morning when Alex and Meredith came running into my room.

"Arizona, Callie can we speak to you outside, please?" Alex asked.

They got up from their chairs and followed the two doctors out the door. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but within a few minutes Alex and Meredith came back into my room while I saw Arizona and Callie signing papers.

"You ready to feel better kiddo?" Meredith asked me standing next to my bed.

I nodded.

"Well. If everything goes planned you should have a new kidney by this afternoon."

Suddenly a rush of happiness flooded over me. But suddenly it was mixed with anxiousness and dread. Was it going to hurt? Was I going to die? How much more time did I have to be in this hospital? I just wanted to go home. I was scared and tired and I wanted to go home.

Thank you to everyone who has followed me and has voted on this story! It means the world to me when I see those notifications pop up on my phone. And over a thousand views! You guys deserve more chapters. I don't promise a regular uploading schedule but I really will try to post more often! I love this family, and I don't plan on ending this story anytime soon. If any of you have any ideas for where you want the story to go or if you want to see any of the characters interact with more characters for the show let me know! As always vote, comment, and follow!

-me_you_and_the_world