Chapter I: Chills

Shiver.

The snow filled landscape and the harsh blizzard that came out of nowhere didn't faze much of the city's people. In fact, Chris looked out the doors of the diner and could see plain as day lights from other buildings operating and people walking past in thick snow coats. The leather padding all becoming too mainstream in this isolated country, where many knew almost nothing of the outside world.

But even with the gloves and the parkas, Chris Parehoñez could still feel a chill go up his spine as his mind raced to process what he has just plainly seen.

It was like a memory-a nightmare gone wrong. A feeling of déjà vu swept through him as he tried to recall the scene in detail...but like all nightmares, the memory became foggier and foggier.

"You sure you're alright?" Adette tilted her head, raising an eyebrow. Her dark eyes glinted and shone as they reflected the nearby fireplace although a weary look seemed to rest on her expressions.
"I'm fine." Chris shook his head. "It's nothing."

Chris was used to shrugging off these unbelievable visions. Ever since he saved the country from being placed under mind control, visions and dreams started to become daily routine for him. No mention of them to Adette. No mention of them to anybody.

That was Chris Parehoñez. That was the type of person he was, and the type of person he would continue to be.

Adette tightened her lips as she stirred her tea that had been placed in an elegant looking cup with blue and white stripes scraped with small golden squares. She had already grown used to Chris waving off her concern.

"So...I was thinking about..." Her eyes lay fixed on her cup. "Umm...getting you to loosen up a bit."
"I am loose." Chris growled.
A long sigh came from Adette's lips. "Yeah, yeah right. Listen up. We're going to a concert tomorrow evening."

"A conce-" Chris' eyes widened and his back straightened. "N-no, where are you going to get money for that?!"
"I'll deal with that problem." Adette said before taking a sip of her tea. "We'll be watching Tanya Villa's show specifically."

"H-her..?" Chris raised an eyebrow. "Why are you interested all of a sudden in watching her?"
"Gaaah, when I ask questions you don't answer them." Adette groaned, almost wanting to drop her face on the table. "You'll just see."

"Okay...okay then. Fine. Jeez." Chris raised his hands in defeat.

"I think you need to loosen up."
Chris turned his head to the direction of the familiar voice.

At a seat right next to them, sat the doctor himself.
"Communication is important in every single aspect, more so in forming meaningful relationships with others, whether they are family, friends, lovers, co-workers-"

Chris gripped Adette's arm and turned back to her. "A-Adette, th-that's!"
"Wh-what?" Adette turned to Chris with a worried expression on her face.

Chris turned back to the doctor.

But it was just an empty seat.

...

The chatter of the other diners and the clanking of metal utensils, the sound of meat being fried as it fell onto the greasy pan along with the jingle of bells placed at the front door made the diner seem lively and set an appropriate mood separate from the snowstorm outside.

For Chris however, it was like an ominous ambiance...a setting that seemed...uncanny.

"Chris, for Pete's sake, just tell me what's wrong." Adette gripped Chris' hand firmly.
"What issue is bouncing around in your head?" She sighed. "Do you want to see a psychologist?"

Psychologist.

Psychologist.

Psychologist.

"I-I think I need to r-rest or something..." Chris stood up, a hand trying to massage the temples of his forehead.
"Y-you sure?" Adette looked up at him and hurriedly tried to go through her bag, taking a large gulp of the tea while doing so. "Wait up for me then."

"N-no, I'll go ahead." Chris said. "I'll just stay at the apartment...or something..."
"Keys." Adette's hand jerked upwards and a glint of silver caught Chris' eye. "Catch!"

Chris held out both hands and caught the keys, his gloved hands slightly shaking as they did.

"You better be at home when I catch you mister." Adette stood up and walked up to Chris. "If you're not, I'm calling every single person I know and getting a citywide search just for you."
"D-don't worry about me." Chris shook his head.

Adette huffed, gripping her teacup more tightly. "I swear..." Adette leaned in towards Chris.
A little peck on the cheek.

...

Chris left the diner, holding his parka closer to him as the blizzard continued to rage around him. Despite all the heavy snow, some people continued to eat outside the diner in the spots made for them. Most of the other buildings stayed up.

But Chris had no time to read books in the Museum of Faridea or watch plays and movies in the Grand Theatre of Joey. He was supposed to be at home. At the apartment.

"Be careful."

Chris ignored the voice and kept trudging in the snow. Desperation grew in him. Desperation to simply throw away whatever curse fell in him that made his life like this.

"Chris? Chris Parehoñez?"

Chris turned to look for the source of the voice. It was different. With the snow storm and all the other people, it was hard to tell who was calling him out.
He was about to dismiss it again when it started calling back.

"Chris? Chris!"

Chris' eyes fixed on a person around his age wearing a white parka with dark gloves and with a blue and white striped scarf. The guy's eyes were dull and black colored, and his skin had a natural brown tint to it. Underneath a red and white hat he wore, Chris could see the familiar short and well maintained hair and from the guy's gestures that seemed to be more reserved, a name instantly clicked for him.

"B-Boris?" Chris' eyes widened in response.
"Hey, it is Chris!" Boris Malco, an old classmate and friend of Chris waved and patted him on the back.

"How long has it been..?" Chris asked. "How are things going at your school?"
"The Urban Pig's Central Academy is definitely boring...but you can kinda push through with it." Boris shrugged. He gave a playful punch on Chris' shoulder. "How about you? How's that hero status doing you in Fartham University?"

"The government's keeping a tight leash on stuff." Chris shook his head. "The university's not playing favorites."
"Ugh, that sucks Chris." Boris frowned.
"I know."

Boris held his parka closer to his body. "It's freezing out here. I haven't felt this cold ever."
"I don't know what's up with it. I better get to the apartment." Chris suddenly recalled. "Adette might get mad if she finds out I'm not there."

"Ohhh, of course. Go, go!" Boris stepped away from Chris. "You don't want to upset our old classmate now, do you?"
Technically her social relationship with Chris was more than that of a classmate, but Boris didn't need to know that. Yet.

"Yeah, yeah fine." Chris waved. "See ya next time!"
"Yeah - bye!" Boris waved back.

Chris hurriedly dashed to his apartment, hoping not to be frozen solid by the freezing storm before he reached it.
Still, he felt chills run down his body as he ran. Not because of the storm. No..........

Because he felt like something was watching him from afar.