Episode 46: This Can't Last Forever

“Audrey!”

                Her body was slowly mangled. Being dragged through the doors. Her bottom half was already gone letting her backbone stick out.

                “Audrey please!”

                This can’t last forever.

                She spoke to me. Her fingertips were destroyed from her clawing at the carpet trying to get away. Her nails broken and blood filled.

                “AUDREY!!” Carl grabbed my arm and pulled me down the flight of stairs following the already fleeing Conroy and Grant.

                Carl held my hand and it finally settled.

                She’s dead.

                We burst out the doors into the snow and I struggled to stay on my feet, my legs shook so much.

                In the middle of the parking lot, I fell and slowly got up.

                “Audrey!?” Carl turned around and hurried over to me, Grant and Conroy continued to run.

                I put my hand on a tire next to me and slowly got up. “We have to go back. Get her body.” I looked up at him.

                “We can’t.” He frowned.

                “We-We-We have to! We have to go back Carl!” I started to get hysterical and push away from his grip on my arms.

                “No! We can’t!” His voice started to rise.

                “We have to!!!” I started to scream and cry at the same time. I know this was, dramatic, but I couldn’t help it.

                His hand opened and slapped my face making me go still. “She’s gone!!!”

                I looked to him and he just hugged me.

                “She’s gone.” He whispered.

                I gripped his shirt and bit my lip repeating those words so they’d register. His hair brushing against my cheek.

                …To those who have sacrificed, lost a friend, or a relative…Granny was both for me. In the two months I was aware of how secluded this place made each of us; Granny broke the fear and pushed me to hope.

                The sum of her life, of all our lives…hoping and dreaming for it to end in peace…

                I’ll mourn her. I’ll mourn everyone. Everyone I’ve ever cared for, for the rest of my uncertain life.

                (Third Person P.O.V.)

                Conroy stopped just short in front of Grant then turned to the 22 year old.

                “All right. Hand em’ here.” Conroy panted.

                “What?” Grant stood straight.

                “The pills. Hand em’ over.”

                “To give to Gabby right?” Grant heaved.