Still Here: Part 1

It was one month after we left Dahlonega and came to a warmer climate. We hadn’t really run into any people, it’s just been me and Carl for the longest amount of time.

                Until we came across a herd, not really big, but enough. I slammed into Beth, and yeah…we were all a little surprised.

                Mostly I was wondering what was up with her being knocked up. Did she meet someone? I asked Carl if he knew anything but he was just as clueless as I was.

                We were seated around a fire when I asked her.

                “The baby…How’d that happen?”

                Her big eyes just flashed to mine and she gave a shy smile. “After the prison fell, I was with Daryl-“

                “That’s Daryl’s baby?!?!?!” My eyes shot wide and I looked at her stomach.

                “No!” Beth reassured me quick as she could.

                I don’t know why I felt that way. But…I couldn’t really see Beth carrying Daryl’s baby. So when she said that I was obviously…well, freaked out.

                After a second, well, we all let out a slight laugh at the thought of Daryl being a dad.

                “No…we came across a house…and, well, one night walkers got in and Daryl told me to get out, well, someone was stayin’ there before us, so when I was outside…they came back and took me…I haven’t seen anyone from the prison since.”

                I hung my head. Rape. That’s what she’s talking about in a tone none of us need to verbally hear. Rape. So, that baby…is just some strangers.

                “About 3 weeks ago, I managed to get away, been travelin’ on foot ever sicne.” She looked at the fire. Still the same sweet Beth, only knocked up…

                I remember how well we got along at the prison…she was always taking care of Judith…

                This brought back so many memories it hurt.

                “What about you? How’d you find each other?” She seemed unbearably confused.

                “After the prison, I was with my dad and then Michonne, then Daryl. He said that you were gone…We didn’t know what happened. We decided to go to a place called Terminus…but it wasn’t what we thought. They kept us prisoners.” Carl started to become amused with how long ago this all sounds. “Anyway, we broke out, and then, I got separated by a heard. Then I found Audrey.”

                He had a hint of smile in his voice.

                “How?” Beth looked at me.

                “I was coming back, then I saw…gosh…the prison was, just completely destroyed…and then…” I turned to look at her, remembering when I buried Hershel’s head. I swallowed and continued. “I looked and looked, and I was in the woods when Carl was lost. We didn’t find anyone else, so we went on the highway and stayed in a place called Dahlonega.”

                Beth nodded. “Are you and…” She looked between Carl and I.

                I shouldn’t be…self conscious that Beth is asking about our relationship…buuuut….

                “Yeah.” Carl smiled and slowly grabbed my hand.

                Beth just grinned. “That’s great.”

                I wanted to cry. Just about everything. I was happy…but sad. Still, we have her back. We can all stay together. I smiled.

                We can all stay together…