4. The Selfless Type of Love

'Kisi ne kabhi aapko suddenly chaata mara hai ... phaat ... us chaante ko ishq kehte hai ... aur woh chaanta aur zor se padta hai jab koi teesra aa jaata hai.'

~ Ranbir Kapoor, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil

Third Person P.O.V.

'Well, that part of the story starts in 2015.' the woman tells him. 'When your mum fell for your dad.'

'But I thought mum and dad met in 2013?' he questions, confused.

'They did. But, like the rest of us, he thought your mum was in love with Varun. It wasn't until 2014 that they started to really speak and then, early 2015, they got together.'

'Okay, so what happened?' Raghu asks, those wide eyes, so like his mother's, filled with anxious curiosity.

'Varun finally got his courage together and decided he'd confess. But that went wrong...'

***

After over four years of keeping quiet, Varun Dhawan has finally made the decision to tell his best friend that he loves her. He's sure it won't be news to her, that she has to know because absolutely everyone knows, but he's beyond nervous anyway.

Of course, it's not a decision he's taken lightly or without consulting anyone else; he's spoken to Shaheen and told her that he's in love with Alia, asked her if she thinks he should tell the girl. As the girl's older sister, Shaheen is one of the people that knows Alia best so when she says that it's a brilliant idea, he doesn't question it.

So, the day after he'd made the decision, he goes to the Bhatt residence.

As she always is, Alia seems delighted to see him, hugging him enthusiastically as she greets him. 'I was just about to call you.' she tells him as they sit on her bed.

'Oh?' he questions, eyebrow raised.

'Yep. Guess you read my mind again.' she laughs. 'Should probably be used to it by now.'

Well, it has been five years now Alu, I should hope you've gotten used to it.' he jokes, getting one of her fond smiles.

'I don't think I can ever get used to you VD. You're just full of surprises.' she jokes, making him laugh.

'Well, it would be pretty boring if I couldn't surprise you anymore.' he tells her, getting a nod in response. 'Now tell me, why were you going to call me?'

'I've got something I need to tell you.' she says excitedly.

'Even I've got something to tell you.' he informs, nerves twisting his stomach.

'You go first.' she tells him, more excited to hear his news than to tell hers now.

'Uh, no that's okay. Ladies first.' he counters, earning a weird look from her.

'You sure?' she asks, wondering why he doesn't seem too excited.

'Yeah, completely.' he nods, smiling at her.

'Okay then, I uh... well, I really needed to tell someone this and you know you're the first person I go to with pretty much everything.' she begins, getting a nod and a smile. 'Well, the thing is, um, I'm kind of inlovewithsomeone.' she states, rushing the words out together out of excitement and maybe anxiety. His heart sinks as he processes the words, understanding them and knowing they aren't for him because of that last word.

'Oh, oh that's great Alu!' he exclaims, faking enthusiasm. The smile on his face is a little too bright to be real.

'And why do I get the feeling that you're just pretending for my sake?' she asks, giving him that knowing look.

'I'm not. Really, that's great. I'm happy for you.' he lies, knowing she can see straight through him but hoping she'll let it go.

'No you're not. You're upset.' she states. 'Why're you upset?'

'I'm not. I just wasn't expecting it.' he mumbles, not really convincing her.

'Varun- '

'What Varun?' he asks, forcing a chuckle. 'I'm happy for you yaar. Who's the lucky guy?' She just looks at him for a moment, not wanting to give him an answer when he's evidently not at all as happy about it as he's pretending to be. 'Come on, don't keep me waiting.' he prompts.

'It's uh, it's Adi.' she mutters, no longer feeling the need to tell him given his evident upset. 'But never mind that. What was it you wanted to tell me?'

'Oh, that. Uh, nothing important.' he dismisses, unable to tell her now.

'It seemed important when you came here.' Alia points out.

'Nah, just about my new film.' he mumbles.

'What about it?' she questions, trying to get some excitement from him.

'Not much. Just, been told I can tell a few people about the final cast.' he mutters. And, while that's true and he had been planning on telling her, he no longer feels any excitement about that either.

'Well go on then, don't keep me in suspense!' she exclaims, hoping it'll finally perk him up.

'I'm gonna be opposite Kriti.' he tells her, forcing himself to look at her.

'Okay, but it wouldn't have been kept so secret just for Kriti. Who else?' she asks, starting to get a little worried about his dejected state.

'Well, the secret part would be that one of India's most loved pairs are coming back to the big screen.' he says, unable to stop himself from smiling at her confused face. 'Shahrukh sir and Kajol ma'am have both signed on to do it.'

'Are you kidding?!' she asks, both shocked and excited. When he shakes his head, she squeals and launches herself at him in a hug. 'Oh my God Varun that's amazing!' He can't help but laugh, her enthusiasm greater than his own had been. 'Yaar, I'm so jealous of you right now.'

'Hey, you had the opportunity, you turned it down.' he points out, confusing her again. She pulls back from the hug a little to look at him, brow furrowed. 'You were offered the film too.'

It takes a moment for her to realise which film he's talking about, trying to figure out what they'd been offered together recently but when it does, she's about ready to kick herself. 'Wait a second, Dilwale?' she questions, groaning when he nods. 'Shit! I almost said yes to that as well. But no, I just had to think about how there's not been enough time since Humpty and that wouldn't be good.'

'Don't worry Alu, I'm sure you'll get the chance soon.' She shoots him a don't-get-my-hopes-up look and he quickly changes the subject. 'Anyway, what about you, any new scripts?'

'Well, there's one...'

***

'So, that was it, the end? Cause it sure as hell doesn't seem like it.'

'Not quite.' Shaheen says, slightly hesitant to continue now that they've reached the last part.

'Then what happened?' With a sigh, the woman looks at her nephew, steeling herself before speaking again.

'Your parents wedding.'

A/N: morning folks. Hope you're having a good morning (not likely on a Monday, I know).

We're starting something new this week. Every Monday after the chapter is live, you can ask Raghu some stuff if you head on over to our Instagram.

Like we've said before, we want to try and make this an interactive account so we hope this'll be something that you guys will like.

And that's all for today guys. See you next Monday 🖖