Gloria/Chapter 4

I dragged my feet up the stairs, taking my time.

Gloria was home. I knew she was, I saw her car...Gloria wasn't home much anymore and I knew it was not a good thing that that she was.

All the excitement that had happened that day left my mind as I thought about her. Maybe she would be too drunk to care.

I doubted it.

I was late.

I was supposed to do a million things before she got home, various chores. I didn't bother most times, since it was pointless to clean our unused microwave everyday. Etc.

Besides, Gloria was never home. And how could she care if she wasn't home...?

I reached the door. And just stood there, trying to think of some way out of this.

This was ok. I could just call Harley to come get me...yeah, he could just pick me up.

I took out my phone to text him. My hands were shaking. I was so angry at myself for being this scared of my mother.

Alex: Hey Harley, Gloria's home. Any way you could pick me up? Don't stress I'm fine.

Harley: Don't go inside, I'm on my way.

He obviously didn't buy the, don't stress, thing.

I turned to go back downstairs when the door flew open, I held in the urge to scream in shock.

Suddenly a tight fist closed around my arm and I was pulled into our apartment room, the door slammed shut.

"Why weren't your chores done?" Gloria screeched at me, her tone held the same dangerous edge I had learned to fear.

"I-I'm sorry, I-" she cut me off,

"WHERE WERE YOU?" She demanded.

"I just stopped to e-eat-" I was cut off again, but this time by a sharp slap. I whimpered and barley managed to stay upright from how hard she had hit.

"YOU WERE WASTING MY HARD EARNED MONEY WHILE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING YOUR CHORES?" She shouted.

I wanted to hide. I wanted to get away from her. But even if I'd had the courage to run, her hand was clasped so tightly around my arm, I knew it would bruise. Her manicured nails dug into my skin, I had to hold in the urge to cry out. I wasn't getting out of her grip.

"ANSWER ME!" She yelled.

"I'm s-sorry G-Gloria, I didn't-" I was cut off, yet again,

"I DONT WANT TO HEAR YOUR BULLSHIT EXCUSES!"

Then quit asking, I thought furiously.

I suddenly felt pain explode against my left cheek, I could tell that would be another bruise.

I stumbled back, but a was held by Gloria's firm hand.

She was drunk.

I could see almost all of the beer gone from the cabinet it was typically stored in.

Oh god, I was in for it.

She grabbed the belt from the drawer. This belt was reserved for...well beating me.

I tried to jerk away from her, but Gloria held tight.

I gasped in pain as I felt the first of the hits, a hard slap of leather against my side.

I knew it would be the first of many.