t h r e e

Perry Martijena as Noah Torrez

Miles sits in his third period class, mindlessly waiting for 12:30 to arrive, because 12:30 means lunch and lunch means getting out this boring ass class for twenty-five minutes. Miles checks the clock and sees it's barely 12:15, Miles groans internally and pretends to be interested in what his teacher is saying.

Miles pays little to no attention to anything in class, except when the whole class grows quiet and their attention is at the door. Miles turns his head also, and he can't believe that the girl from his English class shares another class with him. Miles feels his heart speed up at the sight of her, he doesn't know why, but it does.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I'm new here - and is this Ceramics?-" The nameless girl asks.

"Yes, and you might you be?" Mr. Jackson asks.

"I'm Genevieve, I just moved here not to long ago," Genevieve explains.

Miles tunes out their conversation because he's too focused on Genevieve's face, and while he keeps staring like a weirdo, he doesn't even notice when she sits in the desk next to him.

"Hi, you must be Miles, right?" Genevieve confirms with a pleasant smile.

Miles likes the way she says his name, it's a little concerning.

"Uh, yeah, how'd you know?" Miles asks a little nervously.

"The teacher told me, so, that's how I know," Genevieve says with a small laugh at the end.

"Oh, right, of course he did," Miles says awkwardly.

(All the while Miles is talking to Genevieve his fingernail keeps scratching the skin of his thumb.)

An awkward silence comes over them, and Miles wishes he could make every situation less awkward, and that every word he ever spoke would come out less awkward and nervous. Damnit, Miles, just say something. If you don't say anything, she's gonna think you're a massive loser and not worth her time. And, why would she? She's totally out of your league.

"Do you want to sit with me at lunch?" Miles blurts.

"Um, yeah, that sounds good actually." She smiles. Miles smiles back and his heart is hammering inside his chest, and his fingernail is going crazy against his thumb.

Miles sees his friends at their usual lunch table, and he waves at them and they wave back. Miles waits in line to grab is his lunch, which is a spicy chicken sandwich with an apple and some curly fries, and regular white milk. Miles makes sure that Genevieve is behind him, and she is. Though, she looks disinterested in, well, everything. Miles notices that she kinda pulls a disgusted look at the food, but the look passes as soon as it appeared.

"So, my friends are really cool, so don't worry about impressing them or whatever," Miles tells Genevieve as they walk towards his usual table.

"Hola Miles, hola..some girl I don't know," Mateo says with a confused look.

"Oh, yeah, this is Genevieve and she's new, so please be kind," Miles explains and sits down next to Mateo, and Genevieve sits down next to Miles. So, from left to right, it goes Alva, Mateo, Miles, and then Genevieve.

"Sup, Genevieve, so where'd you move from,"Alva asks.

"Canada," Genevieve answers simply.

"Oh, what made you move here? America...isn't doing too great right now,"Alva laughs slightly.

"My...dad moves a lot, for work. So, my family moves constantly. We usually only stay for four to six months, then we have to move again,"Genevieve explains.