Don: Technicalities

Mikey's mouth hung wide open in bewilderment while the rest of the boys just stared at the mess on the floor. Raph looked upset, Leo was wearing that poker face of his, and Don seemed concerned.
"Whoops" my cheeks were starting to set themselves on fire. I quickly squatted down and started cleaning up the mess I had made. Great way to start my visit today. Ughhhh.
"Hey Rowena"
"Hi....guys" I said, trying to sound a little enthusiastic and convincing.
"Raph could you go get the broom and dustpan please?"
"Sure"
"Mikey go see if we have any duct tape left"
"Comin' right up Leo!"
Leo and Donnie bent down and started helping me scooping the sand up and putting it back into the giant bag while the other two were off doing their part. We were only cleaning up for a little while until the both of them stopped. I looked up and saw their shocked faces.
"What is it?"
"Your hands..."
I looked down and saw that my hands were an unpleasant sight to behold. Alot of my skin was very red from all of my aggressive punches and my knuckles were roughed up so bad that the skin was torn, cracked, and bleeding. Almost like when your hands stay cold and dehydrated for too long.
"We better go get you bandaged up"
"But, what about the sand?"
"Raph and I will take care of it. You go ahead and let Don patch you up"
"Thanks Leo, I really am sorry for the mess I made"
"It's okay, it happens" he placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a sympathetic smile before going back to work on my mess. Not moments later Raph and Mikey had returned with a broom and some duct tape.
"Come on, I'll take you to the lab"
"Going to play doctor on me are you?"
"Har har" Donnie's cheeks turned a slight shade of rosy pink. Or was that just the lighting tricking me?
Don's lab was on the first floor of the lair. It was probably one of my favorite rooms in the lair.
"Here we are' he said as he opened the door. 'Ladies first"

It hadn't changed much since my last visit. A bunch of gizmos, inventions, tools, and unknown items were blinking, beeping, or flashing (not that kind of flashing you perv) while laying on the various tables that he had in there. All of his monitors appeared to be working on something. One looked like it was scanning something while a couple of the others were typing code and some other things that I couldn't quite make sense out of. According to his brothers, Donnie has another yet smaller lab in his bedroom. 'I wonder what his bedroom looks like?' I noticed that there were a couple of newer projects in the lab as well. There was some sort of hovercraft in one corner of the room that was suspended with chains and there was also a huge engine as well. Maybe it was for the truck?

"I see you've got some new projects Doctor"

"Yup, LH and I have been studying some of the Utrom tech that we have been collecting. It's quite fascinating really"

"Nice" We had made our way over to the lab bed where Don motioned me to sit as he went off in search of the first aid kit. Luckily it didn't take long.

"Are you allergic to anything?"

"Nope"

"Ok. I'm going to put some ointment on your hands"

I watched as Don rubbed ointment on my knuckles. The atmosphere around us feeling heavy with the awkward silence. Just when he finished rubbing the ointment on my hands he spoke.

"So what did Casey say in the fight that made you so upset?"

My ears pricked up in surprise by this as I looked at Don.

"Who said we had a fight?"

"I live with three teenage brothers. Two of them fight all the time with each other, the other one likes to push our buttons and keep us on our toes. Besides, you always make that look when you're bothered by something"

I smiled a little. "I didn't think I was such an open book"

"Not all the time. You've just seemed bothered lately. I'm going to wrap your hands now so I need you to stay still"

"...."

"It's fine if you don't want to tell me. I just want you to know that I'm here if you want me to listen"

"Casey and I had a fight...about my family's killer. I told him that I wanted to approach Hun. To fight him. To beat the living snot out of him and hopefully get some answers"

"And Casey refused"

I nodded. "Yeah, he refused. Told me I was crazy and brought up the promise I made to his mom on the night that she found me"

"And then you ran off and ended up here"

"Yeah, I didn't want to stay. I just felt so angry and upset. I haven't done anything to help my family find peace for five years. All this time I've been in hiding, staying out of trouble and looking after Casey"

"Rowena..."

"I'm not mad at Casey anymore or maybe I am. I'm not sure. I don't blame him for what he said or how he reacted. But I need to bring Hun to justice for what he did"

"I understand what you want but Casey is right. Hun is a brute of a man"

My brows furrowed and I was about to open my mouth but Don held up one of his fingers in front of me, telling me he had more to say.

"Which is why you shouldn't take him on alone" Don grabbed my hands and rubbed them gently with his fingers, knowing that, while I was not injured badly, they would be stinging from any major contact I might received.

"You want to help me?"

"W-well Yeah! I mean, I'm sure my brothers would tell you the same thing. And we're always here if you need us. But...I would do anything for you to make you happy" he gave my hands a gentle squeeze while his head turned away from me, red with embarrassment.

I wasn't one to immediately respond with an "I love you" to a guy that I didn't know very well. But Donny wasn't that guy. Over the course of our friendship, I too had been feeling like something else was there. When we hung out the first couple of times he wouldn't let me do anything in his lab. But after a while, he started teaching me a few things. With Don, it was always hands-on but when he had to explain something it was as if the whole world had slowed into a low whisper. Saying he made everything sound amazing was an understatement. I would watch as his lips formed the words he wanted to share with me while his face made a variety of cute facial expressions. The magic that his hands performed to create one of his projects was hypnotic and said a lot about his character. Kind, intelligent, anxious at times, caring, and hard-working. I admit, I really really liked Don. But I was ready to throw that away knowing that I didn't have a chance with someone who didn't find humans attractive. At least, that's what Casey told me after the scuffle he caused for trying to save Angel.

"Donny...I have something I've been wanting to tell ya"
He looked back at me again. His eyes were wide with wonder like a puppy's. I stared at our hands, the anxiety within making it hard to say it face to face.
"I would do anything to make you happy too. But not just because you're my friend"
I looked up to see that his mouth opened a little and his breathing a little uneasy.
"But because I'm in love with you"
I closed my eyes shut, cringing from the words I just blabbed out into the world. Only to then open them as I felt a soft pair of green lips crashing into mine and a pair of hairs on each side of my face. When we finally broke for air he hugged me tightly and said:
"You've already made me happy love"