Weekend

The next day was Saturday, so Sabrina had to figure out what to do with Daphne for a day, instead of simply sending her off to school. Park, maybe? Or the Natural History Museum or something? She'd ask Daphne what she wanted to do. Once she woke up.

Until then, she went to the kitchen and reheated the last of the creation she and Daphne had whipped up on that first night. She sat at the kitchen table and wondered how the heck parents dealt with this for their whole lives. She'd been taking care of Daphne for two days, and she was already exhausted. It just reinforced her idea that they'd abandoned her, because who could live like this? It was impossible.

She'd changed her mind. Daphne could watch TV or something, and she'd just sleep for the whole weekend. Or Daphne could maybe sleep over at some friend's house. Who wouldn't notice if Daphne's parents didn't make an appearance? There was that one girl who lived with her dad, right? Yeah! Her mom was... dead? No, that was that boy who'd moved. Oh well, she was gone, anyway, and the girl's dad was pretty lenient about everything. She'd ask Daphne what the girl's name was after she woke up. Meanwhile, she'd just close her eyes for a minute...

"Sabrina?" Daphne was asking, suddenly.

"Huh?" Sabrina asked blearily, realizing that she'd fallen asleep at the table.

"I'm hungry, and there's no food in the house. What did you do yesterday while I was in school?" There was accusation in Daphne's voice. Why didn't you go shopping?

"Cleaned," Sabrina said, not mentioning her tear fest. "The house was a mess. What time is it?"

"Ten thirty," Daphne answered. "Are we going shopping today?"

"Yeah," Sabrina said, getting up. It was funny, but even after a two-hour nap, she still felt exhausted. She got the change jar off its shelf and extracted the money, then started for the door.

"Umm... Sabrina?" Daphne asked.

Sabrina looked back at her sister. "Yeah?"

"Are we going shopping in our pajamas?"

Sabrina looked down, realizing that she was still wearing her frog-covered pajamas. "No, I just forgot to change, is all. Come on."

They headed back to their bedrooms, where Sabrina helped Daphne get dressed, then changed into her own clothes. Afterwards, they headed for the local market, where they bought a box of the sugariest cereal they could find, a bunch of TV dinners, milk, bread, peanut butter, jelly, and candy. They took the bags home, put the groceries away, and Sabrina made Daphne a bowl of chocolate sugar fruity puffs, or whatever they were called.

"I wah go'n to Anhla's hahs tonut fah thaht sleep'oer." Daphne said through a mouthful of cereal.

Sabrina gave Daphne a what-the-heck? look, and Daphne swallowed her cereal.

"Angela invited mne over for a sleepover tonight, remember? Am I still going?"

Honestly, Sabrina hadn't remembered. She'd never paid much attention to Daphne's social life, or most of what the younger girl did, for that matter. She had her own life, and it didn't revolve around her sister. But she nodded anyway. "Which one is Angela, again?"

"The one with the St. Bernard," Daphne said.

"I don't pay attention to your friends' pets," Sabrina said, deciding that idea was ridiculous enough that she was entitled to point it out.

"Single dad."

"PERFECT!" Sabrina burst out, slamming a hand down on the table.

"What?"