Chapter 12

It was late afternoon and as a light breeze began to blow, Knuckles sat there at the foot of the shrine, lost deep in his thoughts. As he sat pondering, a light rustle caught his attention. He looked over across the grassy hill and saw a familiar figure making her way up towards the shrine. "What the... oh crap, I forgot I'd promised Brea I'd have a sparing session with her today.. damn it" he grumbled to himself angrily.
"What's with the face?" asked Brea as she stood in front of him.
"What face?" he grunted, frowning as he looked away from her.
"That face.. and what's with the attitude? I thought you were gonna teach me some new techniques today" said Brea, a hint of disapointment in her voice as she stood there watching him.
"Yeah well, I'll have to take a raincheck ok" Knuckles grunted, crossing his arms and frowning at the floor.
"But you promised me over a week ago" Brea grumbled, now wondering what was going on.
"Tough! something else came up and some things are more important then others" he snapped as he stood up, glaring at Brea.
"What things?" Brea asked as Knuckles pushed past her.
"Mind your own buisness!" he barked in an angry tone then walked off across the hill. Leaving Brea standing there, a stunned expression on her face.

As the sun began to set, Amy stood outside tending to the flowers in front of her house. Looking up, she saw Brea slowly walking down the hill. She stood up and dusted off her dress. "Brea, whats the matter? I thought you were going to hang out with Knuckles" she said, noticing the frustrated look on Brea's face as the young echidna moved closer.
"Don't want to talk about it" Brea huffed as she went to walk past.
Amy grabbed her hand, stopping her. "Brea, what's wrong?.. talk to me" she said as she gave Brea's hand a reasuring tug.
"He put the whole thing off" Brea replied quietly, holding Amy's hand tight.
"Typical Knuckles huh?" said Amy rolling her eyes.
"Not just that... he snapped at me. Like I'd said or done something to piss him off. all I asked was why" said Brea as she stared at the floor. Clearly upset.
"That jerk! well... don't worry Brea, you can hang out here for a while. I'll make you one of my special cherry pies. With strawberry cream too" said Amy as she put her arm around Brea's shoulders, leading her inside.
"Ok" Brea repied with a small smile.

The two girls sat there in the living room, the lights low and some up-lifting music playing quietly in the back ground. "Why do you hang out with that hot-head anyway?" asked Amy as she handed Brea a plate full of pie.
"Well, I wanna be a good fighter like you guys, I wanna be able to help" Brea replied as she stuck the fork in to her pie.
"I guess that's understandable... but why go to Knuckles?" said Amy as she watched the young echinda munch away.

Brea looked at Amy, as she brushed the last few crumbs from her mouth, making the hedgehog giggle. "Well. I guess, because he's so strong. I kinda admire that tough, determind attitude he has" she said with a smile.
"Oh really?" said Amy as she smirked at Brea.
Brea looked at Amy and a light pink tint appeared across her muzzle. "Well, yeah" she replied.
"So, what else do you admire about him?" teased Amy as she sat close to Brea, giving her a playful poke in the arm.
Brea looked away from her. "Oh, don't start that again" she said as she blushed a bright red.
Amy nudged her and giggled. "Oh come on, I know you like him really. I told you what I like about Sonic, so come on.. tell already. one girly friend to another" she said, bouncing up and down in her seat as she grinned at the echidna.

Brea took a deep breath and let out a long sigh. "Ok.. but you've gotta promise me you won't say anything. not to anyone. ok?" she said, a serious look on her face as she looked at Amy.
Amy smiled at Brea "Cross my heart" she replied with her hand on her chest.
"Ok. if you must know... yes, I do like him." said Brea, her cheecks now a burning red.
"And? .. come on, give me details" said Amy, prodding Brea and making her giggle.
"I don't know really... I mean, I'm not usually in to muscle men but... there's so much power in that finely toned body... he's incredible.... handsom too" said Brea as she smiled.
"Well, they do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder" Amy giggled.
"Hey!" squeeked Brea as she gave the hedgehog a playful shove.
"He's really your hero huh?" said Amy with a smile.
Brea nodded then looked down, sighing.
"What?" asked Amy as she watched her friends smile disappear.
"Not that it matters any" said Brea as she sat playing with one of her quills.
"What do you mean?" asked Amy as she held Brea's hand comfortingly .
"I know he doesn't feel the same.. today's little scene being obvious proof" Brea replied and sat back in her seat.
Amy smiled and petted Brea on the shoulder "Come on, lets watch that new movie I bought" she said and turned on the t.v.

As the two girls huddled together to watch their movie, a figure stood outside. taking a sniff of the small bundle of flowers in his hand as he peeked in the window. "Couldn't be more wrong, Brea" Sonic said quietly and knocked on the door.
"Who do you soppose?" said Amy as she stood up and made her way to the door. A smile grew across her lips as she pulled the door open. "Sonic" she squeeked.
"Hiya Amy, how's it goin'?" Sonic grinned. "Oh, eh.. here. these are for you. I saw them while I was out on a run and they kinda... made me think of you... I mean, I thought you might like them" he babbled, blushing as he handed Amy the flowers.
Amy's cheeks turned pink. "Oh, you're so sweet" she squeeled and hugged him.
Brea giggled as she watched the two hedgehogs blushing.
"Eh, hi Brea. sorry to inturupt your girls night in but... I was in town and.." said Sonic, giving her an awkward wave.
"No problem" she grinned and winked at him.
"Eh.. Amy, can I borrow you for a sec?" said Sonic, lightly tugging her arm and gesturing her to come outside.
"You can borrow me for as long as like" Amy giggled then looked back at Brea "Eh, you carry on ok. I'll be back in a minute" she beamed then followed Sonic outside.
Brea rolled her eyes "Bet I know where that's going" she said with a giggle then turned her attention back to the screen in front of her.

The two hedgehogs stood out on the grass. Amy smiled as she looked up at the star-filled sky above her now wondering if this was the moment she'd been waiting for.
"Amy?" said Sonic, snapping her out of her daydream.
"Yes Sonic?" replied Amy, flittering her lashes.
Sonic looked at her, scratching his head. "See, I need to ask you a favor" he said, now feeling a little awkward as she stood there making puppy dog eyes at him.
"What kind of favor?" Amy asked as she stepped a little closer.
"I need you to play along with this plan I have" said Sonic with a smile.
"Plan?" said Amy, raising an eyebrow. Now realising he wasn't going to say what she was hoping.

Sonic looked at Amy, now smirking. "I was thinking.. yasee you know Brea likes Knuckles right?" he said and grinned.
Amy frowned at him "Yees" she replied and crossed her arms.
"Well, turns out he's got the hots for her too" he said with a shrug.
"Oh really, and how do you know that? because I doubt he just told you" said Amy with a suspicious look.
"Not exactly, but he didn't deny it either. he just turned red and told me to shut up" said Sonic and laughed.
"So what's this plan of yours?" Amy huffed, now tapping her foot on the ground.
"Well, I was thinking.... maybe if I kinda, yaknow... make like I'm interested in Brea. give her a few compliments or make a pass at her, in front of him. stuff like that. I'll need you to play along, make a few teasing comments, kinda wind him up about it. yaknow... until he cracks and confesses." he grinned and waited for Amy's reply.

Amy stared at him. "Are you serious?!" she asked, a little shocked. "That's a terrible idea. You can't go pretending to flirt with one of your closest friends, that's just mean. And what if it backfires? what if you just end up hurting Brea's feelings. That would be awful... she'd never forgive you" she continued and frowned.
"Take it easy Amy, it's not going to backfire. trust me" Sonic replied, giving Amy a pet on the shoulder. "So, are you in?" he ask, giving her a hopeful smile.
Amy sighed and glanced over at the house. "It would be nice to see Brea happy" she said quietly.

"Well?" asked Sonic, impatiantly tapping his foot.
"Alright, I'll go along with it. But the minute it starts to go the wrong way, that's it! it stops. do you hear me Sonic the hedgehog?!" Amy said firmly, giving him a stern look. "I won't have you hurting one of best friends" she said, wagging a finger at him.
"Hey, you got it!" he grinned, giving her a thumbs up and winking. "Thanks Amy your awsome" he said giving her a quick hug.
Amy smiled, blushing "Oh Sonic" she giggled.
"See ya" he grinned and shot off in to the distance.
"Oh.. Brea must be wondering where I've got to" said Amy and ran to the door. As she opened it she saw Brea slumped on the sofa, fast asleep. "Aawww.. so cute" she said quietly and grabbed a blanket, draping it over Brea. "I hope this stupid plan of his works" she sighed and made her way to bed.