14.

I looked down at my vibrating phone as my professor went on and on about nothing. I had one evening class and I hated it. But it was a requirement for graduation.

I picked up my phone seeing it was a number I didn't know. My phone was getting blown up this whole time which caused me to pull it out of my bag to see what was going on, upon seeing multiple missed calls from Isabel I just assumed she was trying to get in touch with my brother and was trying to go through me.I let it go to voicemail as it kept ringing, once it stopped a text came through from the number.

Johanna, it's Jose. Give me a call when you get a chance or just shoot me a text to let me know you're iight.

My heartbeat sped up upon seeing his name. I quickly went to the message to respond.

I'm good, why?

I locked my phone now paying more attention to it as I waited for a response. My focus completely off the professor at this point. However he never responded. I gathered up my stuff as class ended ready to run out. I got a call from Quez as soon as I was waking out.

"Hey!"

"Hey, you're leaving class right?" He sounded almost as if he was out of breath.

"Yeah, why?"

"Good, there was shooting in your neighborhood."

I stopped walking as panic took over me, "What? Is Joel okay? Did anybody get hurt?"

"Joel was out there when it happened but dodged the shit on some fuck boy shit."

"What you mean?"

"He pulled a fucking youngin in front of him to avoid getting shot. The nigga took hella body shots. He in fatal condition. Joel gon' have more than just them Hispanics on his head if that little nigga die."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "How young?"

He sighed, "he one of the new niggas that was trying to get down, he was fresh out of high school. Eighteen."

I shook my head as I continued walking towards my car. "Where is Joel now?"

"No one knows. But we know he good. Your brother been on some dumb shit lately."

"Do y'all know who shot at them?"

"Definitely the Hispanics. Some people said it looked like that Ramon nigga."

I rolled my eyes, "of course. Quez I'm going to call you back."

Now that I had Jose's number I was going to use that to my advantage. I dialed his number as he picked up right before I was about to hang up. "What the fuck?" I asked as soon as he acknowledged he was on the phone.

"What?" He asked, sounding as if he was mad.

"You shot at my house?" At this point I made it to my car as I got in putting my bag on the passenger seat.

"Johanna don't call me on no dumb shit right now."

I started my car as I put him on speaker and sat the phone in my lap. "Ain't nothing dumb about this. I was just informed that y'all shot at my brother. Ramon to be exact."

"I didn't set that shit up. "

"What you mean you didn't set it up?" I asked as I put my car in reverse, backing out of the parking spot.