FIVE

Three hours of darkness passed them, but Adrian swore that he saw bursts of light whenever Eva laughed. He was trying his best to distract her from the disaster around them, sharing tidbits about his life.

She found his stories about his "dogs" to be particularly amusing. He hated that he was lying to her, but he saw no other way around this situation. He couldn't drop the werewolf bomb now that they were facing death. She was already nerve-wracked.

"Tell me more about your job. What's it like working for a millionaire? Is Lana stereotypically snobby?"

If only she knew that she was a ring away from being a millionaire herself.

"No. Ms. Lana is very kind. Her brother, Adrian, is also pretty cool."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. The guy is also very handsome," he continued. His shoulders squared arrogantly as he tooted his own horn.

"Oh." The single word reply was drowned within disappointment.

Adrian frowned down at the female in his arms. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes. Sorry."

He squeezed her encouragingly. "You're not very good at lying."

She cleared her throat but didn't make an attempt to escape his embrace. "I just had a silly thought. I don't know. This situation put two strangers in a very intimate setting. Oh god, what am I saying? I've only known you for hours."

Only the Goddess knew what was storming through the woman's mind.

"You lost me," he admitted.

With a final inhale, she delivered. "Do you like Adrian? Is that what you meant by saying that he's handsome?"

She hated how desperate she sounded. She was in a metal tin can, possibly about to draw her last breath, and she was worried about the sexual orientation of the man she didn't even know.

Adrian was both amused and glad of her worries. She wouldn't' have shown concern if she didn't feel something for him.

"Are you crushing on me, Eva?" he teased.

She huffed in an attempt to blow away her embarrassment. "Get over yourself."

"Eva?"

"What?" she replied, the word sounding bloated as if she was pouting.

"Once we get out of here, will you go on a date with me?"

Her body temperature skyrocketed. In her teenage years, she was a sucker for romance, but never in her wildest dreams would she have imagined that a terrorist attack would get her trapped with this man.

"Okay."

"And to answer your question, no. I don't have a thing for Adrian Miller. I assure you that I would never offer him my jacket or shirt."

Eva laughed nervously. "Sorry for stealing your clothes. I promise that I'll replace them."

Don't worry about that. As a matter of fact, you can strip me of my pants as well.

He bit his tongue. It was way too early to be flaunting his dick at her.

"It's just cloth. It's alright. I'm just glad you're safe."

He reached a hand down to make sure that the jacket she had over her head was covering her face.

The sound of cloth shifting was followed by a buzz as his phone vibrated. Adrian dug it out immediately and ran through Calvin's recent update.

The rescue team has evaluated the damage and formed a plan. They ask that you move to the right side of the elevator. Some rocks will probably shift as they begin to dig. Hang on; we're coming.

Adrian was quick to reply. How is my sister?

Bad.

The answer was short, but Adrian knew that no amount of words would be able to encase the anguish Lana was feeling. Adrian knew her well, and the little spitfire was probably fighting someone for their construction hat, determined to get down there.

Tell her that I'm fine. What's the damage assessment?

Public relations or assets?

Everything.

This time, it took Calvin longer to reply.

You're all over the news. Magazines are gossiping about the death of New York's most eligible bachelor, the news is conspiring about terrorist attacks, and the werewolf council is trying to get to the bottom of this. Four casualties have been reported so far, but you acted early enough to prevent the number from growing.

Four casualties didn't seem like much, considering that he had hundreds of employees, but the loss still felt catastrophic.

Take care of the families. How is the building?

We got lucky. She's still standing. It was only the second floor that rained down on you.

Thanks. Let me know if anything else arises.

With that, he locked his phone and began to fill Eva in.

"They're going to beging digging..."

The sound of gravel scrapping interrupted the rest of his words. Eva tensed against him, shoving her body deeper into his. It satisfied him like nothing else to see her seek refuge in his embrace.

With another ghostly kiss to her hair, the remnants of a life-long love story, he silently vowed to protect her.

He hardly knew the girl, but he trusted the Moon Goddes. Eva was his for a reason. Even if she had a terrible character flaw that he hadn't yet discovered, he would be there to help her toward better days.

"They're going to get us out. Just bear with it for a little longer."

Maintaining a conversation became impossible as the sound of rocks groaning and machines clattering defeated their hearing. When a stream of light poked out of the elevator's ceiling, Eva gasped as if she was seeing the Moon Goddess herself.

She began to shift around, searching for something in the dim light.

"Everything okay?" Adrian asked.

She nodded. "Yeah. It's just that I've been feeling some strange, shocking sensation. I'm wondering if there's some loose wire that's shooting electricity."

Adrian bit back a laugh.

"Yeah. I'm sure that's what's going on."

The light beam swelled, bringing more light into the elevator. Eva paused her search and dedicated her gaze to him, gaping at the reminder of his beauty.

His strong shoulders throned a face so regal that it stunned her.

She had a date with his guy? Would he change his mind once she took off the jacket that covered her face and revealed how below his league she was?

Adrian stared as well, awed by her own beauty.

A growling broke their stare. The sound hadn't come from Adrian, but her starved stomach.

"Sorry," she grinned sheepishly.

"Let's hope they get us out before you get hungry enough to start looking at me as if I'm bacon."

If only he knew that he already looked good enough to eat.

part 6 is on Inkitt for free. The link is in my bio.

THIS STORY HAS SLOW UPDATES. KINDLY DO NOT MAKE DEMANDS.