The Day Before

Song of the chapter:
      Pentatonix - Mary Did you know?

          Carol woke up to the sound of the church near the house, they had being doing that lately, preparing for Christmas and new year, starting service very early. She groaned and looked at the time. 8 o'clock. She flopped her head back on the bed, looking at the ceiling, What am I going to do today? Watching TV was out of the question, Sunday was the day for repeat shows on DSTV, she didn't go to church and going back to sleep with the racket going on was not going to be easy.
          She tried, she really did, until she realized that she couldn't. While mentally going through the checklist of things she needed to do, Chioma's church program came to mind, she waved it aside but it still came to the forefront of her mind. It would be a good way to cure boredom, she made a split second decision and picked up her phone to text Chioma.

Where is your church?

               "I'm going to regret this," she mumbled as she entered the bathroom. She came out with her phone ringing furiously, almost as if it was ringing with urgency. "Hello, Chioma?" "Hello, Carol. I knew you were going to come around. My church is not that far from you. Just tell the bike man that you're going to Winners. You can't miss it."

           Alighting in front of the Winners church, she looked at the intimidating building and spotted Chioma leaning on one of the pillars. She waved and walked towards her... well, she wouldn't call her a friend. Chioma was just one of the people who did not detest Carol where she worked. There was always rivalry among teachers and Carol's demeanour did not win her any points with her coworkers. The only reason she hadn't been fired was because she was good, not just good but very good. She taught efficiently, earning herself plenty of extra students on the side, doing lessons.
              Chioma hugged her as soon as she was close and Carol stiffened not used to physical contact. She was led into the church and found a seat. The pastor walked unto the pulpit and the service began.

              The Christmas Eve service was the first in a decade that Carol had attended and she felt very uncomfortable. "How was it?" Chioma asked and Carol smiled, "They've changed the way they do things in church since I last came," Chioma laughed, "You couldn't have been gone that long. When was the last time you went to church?" "Almost five years." Chioma burst out laughing then it trickled to an awkward cough when she discovered that the woman she considered a friend was serious. "Um well, I hope you come tomorrow. We can get you back to the Lord," Carol raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

      She left the church late in the afternoon, feeling bone tired. Chioma had given her a 'grand tour', for when she 'gave her life to Christ' so that she wouldn't get lost when she decided to 'come to the church of light'. They kept stopping to greet church officials and members and getting prayers. She felt like her bones were made of lead as she put food on the stove. She went to sit down to watch a bit of TV while the food cooked.
        She woke to the smell of smoke wafting in her nostrils, she jumped up and cursed, running to the kitchen. She opened the pot to meet a charred mess of what was supposed to be rice. She muttered angrily, "This is why I don't go to church," and dumped the mess in the dustbin. She made do with cornflakes and TV as her dinner and went to bed early.