XXX. Homecoming

Three years ago...

Levi, Maxwell and Nicholas were already at Grey's when Ralph arrived.

"Where is Ben?" he nonchalantly asked, taking the empty seat across from Maxwell.

"On his way back to Devonshire with his wife, of course," Nicholas replied.

"And why are you still here?" he asked, looking at Levi.

"My wife has asked for another day in town."

"And why are you here?" Maxwell asked Ralph with a knowing look.

"Ah, simply killing my time." He cleared his throat and drank from the glass the server placed before him. "How did you find the wedding?"

"Adequate," Maxwell replied wryly.

Ralph shifted in his seat. "I was told you know Ysa and Emma's friend, the lady in blue."

Maxwell was the first to shake his head. "No."

Ralph could tell he was not lying.

Nicholas appeared curious as he said, "No, I do not recall her."

When he looked at Levi, he knew Levi knew the woman. It was all over his brother's face. "You know her."

Levi cleared his throat. "You are asking the wrong man, brother." With a frown, he added, "You have asked of this before. The answer remains the same. I do not know her."

"You mean you refuse to tell me."

Levi just shrugged.

Ralph looked at Nicholas who was looking very curious and lost at the same time. Maxwell, on the other hand, remained impassive as though he did not care at all.

Frustrated, Ralph downed his drink.

Who was Lady in Blue? Why was it too difficult to find her?

*****

On their journey back to the passage they used several days prior, Alex merely discovered one thing: The child's name was Gwyneth.

Apart from that, Sophia seemed not too keen to talk.

Although she and the child were now clean and had fresh clothes from the village, Alex could not tell that Sophia felt free.

It was in the way she would frequently reach for her brother, as if she was afraid he Durley would disappear; it was in the way she held Gwyneth closer, as if the child was the only thing that kept her sane.

As tiring it was to travel for hours again, Alex did not forget to savor the remaining hours she had aboveground.

There was no certainty that she would be back here.

As much as she liked the openness, the wind and the endless sunshine, her life was belowground. Her father was there, her cousins—her village. And she was eager to see all of them. No, she was not merely eager—she needed to see them very soon.

Moistening her lips, she stole Durley a glance and found that the man was looking at her. She looked away and leaned closer to Ralph who was sleeping beside her.

Now that he had his sister back, Alex was certain Durley was more inclined to execute his plans.

*****

There were men already waiting for them when they entered the edifice.

"You are late," one of them said.