XXXIII. Teething Troubles

Three years ago...

Ralph had been inside the tavern for hours now, drinking away the disappointment and frustration of the fruitless search.

He knew that the villagers had their attention on him despite them pretending to mind their own business, immersed in quiet chats as if there were far better things to discuss than a wealthy-looking gentleman sitting in the middle of the room.

The owner had been keeping eye on him, sending warning glances at whoever might have tried to interrupt Ralph's silent musings. All of these had not passed Ralph's notice.

And when the tavern owner finally approached him, Ralph sat straight, at the ready for whatever.

"Enjoying your stay, my lord?" asked the man.

Ralph offered a tiny smile and a nod. "I am done for the night," he said, pushing his empty glass toward the man.

The tavern owner took it but not without saying, "Rumor says you have been lurking around the village." Before Ralph could tell him to mind his own business, the man added, "You be careful, my lord. There are too many bandits in the area."

Ralph let out a sigh. "Need not worry, Sir." He stood up, righting his coat. "I am a Guard."

The tavern owner and those nearby who heard his last word smiled, their faces knowing. It was as if they had witnessed too many tragic endings for Guards.

Ralph left, leaving behind the shame he felt for having gone this far for a woman he barely knew.

Blazes!

He returned to Beechworth with a promise to forget Lady in Blue.

*****

Alex stood frozen, her entire body stiff and numb as the echo of the gunfire died down.

Her knees buckled and she nearly dropped to the floor, but she kept her composure, stumbling forward and holding on to a winged chair to her left.

A single drop of tear fell from her eyes as they widened in shock, fixed on the lifeless body on the floor.

"You bloody bastard," Vega Trilby's shaking voice said, breaking the silence that followed the gunfire.

Alex's teeth started to chatter, her hands balling into tight fists, eyes glued on the pool of blood as it widened, inching away from the body it came from.

"You bloody bastard. You did not have to bring me here to witness a murder!"

"It was the only way to get to face the man, Vega," Durley's eerily calm voice said as he stepped away from Osegod's body. "I am sorry if I caused you distress, darling," he added, turning around to walk toward Alex. "Not that I do truly believe seeing a man murdered causes you such. I believe being drugged and dragged here is much more inconvenient than this, yes?"

Alex's eyes were still on Osegod's face. The look of shock was the last one he wore before the single bullet from Durley's pistol entered the space between his eyes.

"I almost died!" Vega screamed.

Alex's view of Osegod's body was blocked by Durley as he stood before her. He reached out but she flinched away. With a patient smile, he sighed. "Very well," he murmured under his breath.

"Get me out o' 'ere," she hissed through her teeth. "Get me out o' 'ere."

"In a while," Durley promised. "You have done your part. I shall keep my end of the bargain."