XXXII. Deliver

Three years ago...

He would never admit it.

No, he would rather rot in hell than be caught doing such stupid, irrational thing.

His brothers would roll on the ground laughing and mocking him. His sisters would most probably never rest until they witness a tragic end.

And perhaps someday he would remember this day and he would hang himself in shame.

He was in Blucksley.

Not for a mission, not because he was chasing bandits.

He was here looking for a woman who did not have a name.

*****

Alex stared across the carriage at Durley.

He had not said a word since they arrived from Beechworth.

Tearing her eyes away from the man, Alex looked out the window, and at the estate that stood not far away. Located near the villages of Gilford and Montague, Alex knew the estate too well. It was heavily guarded, but they were permitted entrance after Durley showed his face.

"What are we doin' here?" she asked, eyes veering back on Durley.

Durley's handsome face was unreadable, mayhap because it was shadowed by his bowler hat. He simply stared at her, saying, "Osegod refuses to meet me in person until I have what he wants."

Alex frowned. "Ye know Aurora and I don't look alike, aye? One look and he'll know."

Durley scoffed. "But you are the woman who found her."

"Dyin'," she corrected strongly. "And she died in me arms." When Durley did not offer a retort, Alex shook her head. "He doesn't know, aye?" Again, Durley did not reply. "He must already know. It had been days since we rescued Sophia and Gwyneth. He must know now what ye've done."

"No, he does not."

"Because of that man Thorne? He's helpin' ye?"

Durley finally showed something and it was anger. "I do not allow a Trilby to help me, bandit."

Alex was a little confused.

"I am using them all, bandit."

"Like yer usin' me."

His lips twitched into a tiny smile. "Yes."

*****

Ralph woke up with a start.

And when he realized that the space where Alex was supposed to be sleeping was cold, he leaped from the bed, screaming, "Wax!"

His valet came rushing in as Ralph dressed. "My lord?"

"Where the bloody hell is she?"

Wax's face was filled with confusion but when he realized that Ralph's entire bed was rumpled, he gulped and blinked his eyes rapidly. "Did you mean the bandit, my lord?"

Ralph shot him a sharp look.

"M-Miss Alex, my lord?"

"Yes!" Ralph growled.

"I—I do not know, my lord. B-but her horse, Siege, is still in residence, I believe. She could not be at the gardens! Picking flowers, perhaps?"

"Do you truly believe she is one who would spare time picking flowers!" he incredulously cried out.

Wax shook his head. "No, my lord."

A deep groan escaped his throat as he realized the situation. If her horse was still here, then she did not escape. She was missing. "Bloody tarnation, not again!"