Chapter Fourteen

Boston: Six Years Ago

"Swan, I'm so proud of you guys, look how packed this place is now," Mr. Gold praises as he slithers his way onto a stool at the bar.

Mr. Gold owns half the town of Boston and has become one of their regulars as of lately. He always brings a new woman every time he visits and they are always the same type. Women half his age that are drop dead gorgeous...and brunettes, always a brunette on his arm but she keeps her mouth shut about that.

He is a condescending, manipulative, asshole to say the very least. He has a way of convincing people that he is their best friend but will easily stab them in the back within a matter of seconds. She is only nice to him because Neal asked her to be and if Neal has a reason, she knows it's important to him.

"Wonderland," she muses, "a place where you can fall into the rabbit hole and live your wild and free side because down here...we're all a little mad," she playfully teases, expertly sliding Gold's favorite drink across the slick bar.

He's quick to catch the drink, an amused smile creeping along his face when his eyes drift up to meet hers.

"I heard through the grapevine that this was your ingenious plan," he coyly states, lifting the glass to his lips while his shifty eyes lock onto hers.

She doesn't waver, glaring right back into those beady eyes.

"I'm just the cute blonde bartender."

"Yes and I'm a respectable business man, until we all fall down the rabbit hole that is."

His face holds a victorious grin as if he just won the golden prize. He raises one eyebrow before tilting his head back and slamming down his drink. The ice clinks against the glass as he sets the empty glass back down on the counter. She just smirks.

"Another? Or are you playing tonight?" She questions, proceeding to mix other drinks for the rest of the customers.

Gold reaches into the inside of his coat pocket, retrieving a wad of cash that instantly steals her attention. He motions for her to come closer with his long, boney finger but she happily obliges, knowing how to keep her customers satisfied. She leans over the bar top with a wide goofy grin while he holds out the large amount of cash. She glances down and then looks him square in the eyes. She doesn't know how much is wrapped up into the roll, but she listens intently because every dollar is helpful in this line of work.

"I want a V.I.P room tonight. No games. I want a booth up front to watch with my lady and then one of those secret rooms, that no one else knows about," he explains in a low deep growl that would make any other woman's skin crawl.

She glances back down at the money and snatches it from his clutches. She grins just as madly as he does and stands back up while their eyes never wander away from their intense showdown.

"Sure thing, Gold. I'll have August set you up in just a few minutes."

He nods, truly believing he is granted his request because he has money but that's not true. Not at all. In fact, Emma knows Gold very well by now and she always keeps a V.I.P room available for him, knowing that he will toss some extra cash her way, assuming that he's buying her off. When in reality, he's paying almost three times the normal rate.