Chapter 10:

"Bella! Bella, it's Edward."

Of course, it is.

"He thinks you're dead. Rosalie told him why I came here."

Of course, she did.

Bella turned toward Jake, fuming. "Why would you... Why didn't you let me speak to him?"

"He didn't ask for you."

Bella screamed, advancing toward Jake, "I don't care!!"

Of. Fucking. Course, you don't.

I pulled Bella back by her arms as Alice grabbed her shoulders, looking her in the eyes to make her focus.

"Bella. Bella! He's going to the Volturi. He wants to die too." Bella stopped struggling.

The Volturi, isn't that- no. Chiron would have definitely told me if there was a vampire monarchy.

Right?

Volterra is a city near Rome that Chiron warned us to stay away from when it came to monster sightings. I always thought it was because a group I heard of called the Volturi dealt with them. I thought they were demigods.

Are the Volturi instead vampire leaders?

Bella pulled her self out of my grip as I lost focus before hurling herself up the stairs, somehow managing not to trip. Following after her, I saw her grabbing her passport from her desk drawer.

"You can't seriously think this is a good idea?"

"No one said you have to come." She was already shoving random bits of clothing in her backpack.

"Oh yeah, like I'd let you go transatlantic without me. Do you even have a plan? We have no idea where he is."

She paused, seeming to actually see sense for a second. Guilt seemed to flash across her face.

"You're right." I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Did I hear that correctly?"

Then she threw herself at me, squeezing me with more strength than I thought she contained.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

Why is she apologizing?

"I'm sorry I've been ignoring you and reckless and selfish."

Oh, that stuff.

I brought my arms to to awkwardly pat her back.

"But please. You have to help me save Edward. He is the only thing in this world that I love this much."

What the actual fu--

I pulled away from her quickly and grabbed her shoulders in disbelief as I searched her face. There was no way any of this was anything close to a healthy relationship.

But one look at Bella's face told me she was going to go on this suicide mission with or without me.

"Okay Bella, you need to write a note for Charlie. Lily grab your stuff we need to go. Now."

The pixie came into the room and I released Bella from my hold as she finished packing Bella's bag.

I made my way to my room and grabbed my bags as a wave of déjà vu came over me.

Not more than a year ago, I was in the exact same situation.

Fucking vampires.

I arrived at the car as Jake was leaning inside the driver-side window, trying to convince Bella to stay. "I'm begging you. Please."

But Bella's mind was made up and Jacob wasn't going to be the one to change her mind.

*******

Once we had booked our flights and made it passed security, I decided to call Chiron and ask why in hades he never mentioned the Volturi.

Pulling out my phone and connecting the earbuds, I found a quiet place to make the call.

"Hello?"

"Who are the Volturi?"

I heard him sigh on the other end.

I brought him up to date on the wolves and the vampire fugitive we were chasing and why I was about to board a plane to Italy.

"Why didn't you tell me? Did you just decide to teach me all about vampire history and then go on to leave out the leaders? That should have been the very first thing you told me. You have been telling ALL of us to stay away from Volterra for years now."

I was more than a little perturbed.

"All right, yes. I am sorry. I admit that the circumstances are changing, and I should have told you. But Lily, listen to me carefully.

The Volturi are a group of powerful vampires that decide and uphold laws in the vampire community. Although they think of themselves as the elite, they are blind to any other mystical community of any kind. They know that monsters exist, yes, but any knowledge of our world ends there. It is imperative that if you come in contact with any of the Volturi or their followers that you don't expose yourself as a demigod. If they ever have any knowledge of our world, I fear we may go to war, and their world will be decimated."

My face scrunched.

"You're worried we'll eliminate their entire race? How many vampires at even out there? And aren't a lot of them killers?"

"There are many who, like your Cullens, try to blend in with mortals and lead good lives. But, yes, there are those who do not as well. However, these killers are usually dealt with by those who know about the vampire community. The Volturi itself is more concerned about keeping a low profile then they are about dealing with rogue vampires."

"Okay. Well, then, how am I supposed to fight them?"

"You must disguise what you are. It is likely they are aware of the existence of many of the offspring and descendants of Hecate, so you may be able to use your ability to manipulate the Mist to your advantage."

I let my head fall back and covered my eyes with my arms.

"Di immortales."

"You've faced much worse, my girl. I know you are one of the few who are most likely to succeed in this situation. Good luck." 

And then he hung up on me.

Ripping the earbuds out, I pursed my lips and let out a long breath, trying to contain a yell of frustration. I can never catch a break, can I?