iv. diagon alley

Bast practically jumped out of bed from excitement. Today was August 26— the day that she and Lily would go to Diagon Alley and buy their supplies for Hogwarts. It was a dream to her, her best friend turning out to be a witch who would go to Hogwarts with her. Several months ago she had begged her parents to let her take Lily to Diagon Alley with them before Severus asked. She sent her letter off and waited for what felt like an eternity to her. Then, the owl came, holding a small white envelope.

Bast slipped a jumper over her pyjama top before she ventured downstairs to the breakfast room. The door was already open, and she could see Remus half asleep in his pancakes. This was her perfect opportunity to show off what she practised. Ever since she realized she could change her face into another person's, she had experimented with animals. She sat in the chair next to him and willed her face to become a duck's. She stared at him for a moment before letting out her best imitation of a duck. It was a terrible impression, she had never heard a duck quack, but it got the desired result. Remus shrieked, jumping up from his chair. Bast laughed as her face morphed back into her own.

"Mum! Bast did the thing again!"

Hope chuckled. "Bast, what did I say about scaring your brother? It's not very nice you know."

"If you don't want me to do it, then why do you laugh so hard when I do?"

Hope chose to ignore her daughter's question. "There's more pancakes on the buffet. There's also bacon, butter, and honey."

Bast grabbed a plate and piled food up. Several minutes later, Lyall came strolling into the room, yawning.

"G'morning! Wha's for breakfast?"

"Pancakes. Cold pancakes at this point. Oh, and there's bacon."

"Barkon?"

"Lyall! What did I say about your wordplay?"

"Sorry," He said, piling food on the plate, "got excited about taking the kiddos and you to Diagon Alley."

"Pa? Are you really gonna take me? What about Lily? I didn't think she was supposed to know I exist."

"Of course you're going! Lily'll find out anyway since you are going to the same school. Might as well find out now. And anyway, wouldn't want you to miss the joy that is Diagon Alley. I can't wait to take you guys to Fortesque's. Best ice cream I've ever had. I could go for some right now if we're being honest."

"I hope you could go for pancakes right-right now because there probably really cold right now."

"Nothing a nice charm couldn't fix, I'm sure."

Lyall pointed his wand at the stack of pancakes and muttered a spell. The pancakes heated up, but a little too much as they were caught on fire.

"Nothing a little charm can't fix, huh?" Hope muttered in a mocking tone.

Lyall blushed before producing a small trickle of water from his wand, putting the fire out.

☜ ✪ ☞

Bast, Lily, Remus, and Hope all gasped in wonder as they stepped into the light.

"It's—" started Remus.

"Wonderful!" Lily finished.

Bast nodded in agreement, looking around.

"First things first we'll need to get our money. All of you stay close; the Goblins who work at Gringotts aren't very friendly."

Lily thought for a second before rummaging around in her skirt pocket. "My parents gave me some money! I don't know how useful it'll be, though. Wizards probably have a different money system."