Chapter Ten: Different Summers

C H A P T E R  T E N
Different Summers

"Alright, class!  Settle down for the announcements!" Ms. Barnes called out to the boisterous class.  She waited until everyone kept quiet.  "The annual Juniors' and Seniors' Battle Camp is coming up next week and since this wouuld be your first time, let me introduce to you the dos and the donts."

     The class broke to excited chatters as Ms. Barnes turned a page of the stapled sheets she's holding.

     "Alright!" Ms. Barnes waited for the room to become silent before she begin with the rules.

     I turned to Cheska.  "What's a Juniors' and Seniors' Battle Camp?"

     "Oh, it's a week where Juniors and Seniors go camping at a place and have lots of activities together then, at the end of the week everyone will be waiting for the winner's announcement," Cheska explained giddily.

     I suddenly found interest.  "Sounds like fun."

     "Oh, yes, it is fun.  Danny and I had a bet about this."  Suddenly, Cheska crossed her fingers.  "I'm crossing my fingers in advance that we, the Juniors would win this year."

     "If you do win the bet, what's he gonna do?" I asked, amused.

    "He's going to hand me his credit card for one day and splurge on it."  Cheska's smile is getting bigger and bigger.  I could only imagine the things she's be using Danny's card for: afagillion worth of designer clothes and shoes.

     I giggled.  "And what if he wins?"

     Cheska groaned and rolled her eyes.  "I'm going to clean his room without letting mom know and he gets all the credit."

     I winced and twitched my mouth in dread.  "Whoa.  Heavy."

     Cheska cheered up.  "Not really.  What's heavier is when mom and dad sees his credit card bill and he gets grounded."

     I raised my eyebrows.  "I'm impressed."

     She shrugged.  "You should be.  'Cause I'd be laughing so hard sinc he doesn't use it much and then, one day our parents are going to have the shock of their lives that their big boy Danny has over spent."  Cheska began to gigle as she played the scene in her head.

     I laughed at how cute the two siblings are then, shook my head and returned my attention to the teacher who was still discussing the rules.

     "Boys and girls are to be in separate cabins.  Five students each and one counselor.  A teacher of the same gender as the occupants will serve as counselors for the duration of the camp.  No bringing of electronic gadgets including cellphones."  The room bursts into 'awes' and complains but Ms. Barnes ignores it.  "No bringing of obscene materials and other inappropriate objects.  No wearing of outrageous clothing and such."  She lifted her head from the papers she's holding.  "Color-coded shirts will be distributed this afternoon and that's what you'll be wearing for seven days."

     And with the bell's ring, the students poured out of their classrooms to talk about who's roommates with who.

     Cheska and I went to our lockers and reunited afterwards before heading to my World History class and she to her Math.

     "So who're the other three roomies?" Cheska asked me uncertainly, almost sounding nervous.

     "I was actually hoping you'd have the idea," I replied.