Chapter Twelve: Friday

C H A P T E R  T W E L V E

Friday

Cheska came over to our rental home after my shift to help us load our things to her car and finally move in with the Prestons.

     "Danny!" I heard Helga's voice from the inside of their mansion.  "Move your ass and help!"

     I could just imagine him in his room with his headphones over his ears and he rolls his eyes as he attends to our aid but before I could imagine him stomping down the stairs, we both reached out for the last box in Cheska's compartment.  I noticed his hands on the opposite side of the box and slowly meet his eyes.  I felt embarrassed to make him carry my panties, bras and the only bathing suit I own.

     "I--I can manage--" I stammered.

     But before I could finish, he pulled away from the other end that caused me to plummet to the ground along with the oddly heavy box.

     I don't think undies should weigh a ton.

     He retreated back to the house shouting, "She said she can manage, mom!"

     I picked up the spilled contents of the box and frowned because I don't recall putting casseroles among my underwear.

     "Oh, deary," Mom said, coming towards my wretched spot.  She knelt down in front of me and began to help me pick up the scattered kitchenware on the Preston's driveway.  "I'm so sorry that I forgot to tell you about these.  I stuffed them all in the box at the last minute."

     "It's okay, mom," I said as we finished repacking the strewn objects.

     A male servant began to carry our boxes up the grand staircase, to the left side.  One of the box carriers was Danny.

     "Follow me, ladies," Helga said with a pleasant smile.

     We passed a number of doors and hallways like a labyrinth until she stopped at a door on the top of a narrow discreet staircase like a way to the attic.  She opened the door to a room that took my breath away.  It looked like my room back in Hardbourn.

     It is rather a small space but I felt like I was already back home as though my father was still here...

     "Would you hurry up?" a voice grunted behind me as if carrying a heavy load.

     I turned and found Danny carrying a box on the brink of the top stair-step.  "Sorry," I muttered in embarrassment then, moved forward to give them space to enter and place the boxes in a stacked pile on the side of the room.  The rest of the men who helped carry the boxes left except for Danny who stood close to me due to the limited space.

     "So, Sandra, this would be your room," Helga said, beholding the room.  Then, she put her palms together.  "I'm terribly sorry if you had to be in such small space but if you want to redecorate or paint it," she opened her arms.  "Then, have it your way."  She smiled benignly.  "Is there anything else you would like Danny to get you?"

     "Oh, no, no, thank you very much, Mrs. Preston," I said.

     "You're welcome," she turned to Mom.  "Now, Molly, I'm going to show you your room."  She proceeded out the room with her hand behind Danny and Mom trailing behind them.

     When I'm finally alone in the room, I got the look around and marvel at how much the room didn't collect dusts and the bed looked new and so is the varnished closet drawer.  The bright light two feet above my head reached every corner in the room.  Across the door is a round attic window and a nice-looking empty wooden table and chair that looked suitable for studying.

     I went to one of the boxes and started unloading my clothes and walked across the blue carpet and placed them on the first drawer.

     My door burst open, revealing Cheska with a wide, excited grin on her face.

     "Sandra, come on!"

     "What?  Where?" I asked, confused.

     "It's girls' night out!" she squealed.

     "But...I--I don't..." I shook my head, embarrassed.

     Her face frowned with curiosity.  "What do you do on Friday night, then?"

     "I curl up with a book and read," I said rubbing my left arm.

     "That's no fun!" she protested.  "You must get out!"

     "I'm gonna have to ask my mother--"

     "I already did and she said yes," Cheska smiled wittily.

     I rolled my eyes and smiled, an expression of giving up.  "Fine."