chapter 2

"Oh yeah! Oh oh yes!" Milly cried out as she reached her peak. Roman grunted and shoved himself inside the woman he was using for some sexual relief today. Her efforts were lackluster, that's what happened when he took a human home for the night, lackluster.

Pulling out, Roman rolled to the side and sat up before reaching for his jeans. "Stay with me RJ?" The woman whined as he stood.

"It's Roman. You don't have the right to call me anything less. You knew going into this room that I wouldn't stay." He growled. "Besides, I have a meeting."

Unexpected tears spread across the girl's eyes as she covered herself with the silky bed sheets. "Stay as long as you want Tonya..." he said as he walked out. It wasn't his room anyway... it was a guest room in the guest cabin he only used for these type of occasions.

"It's Milly!" The girl screamed through her tears.

Roman shrugged grumbling as he walked away. He hated the 'stay' girls. Humans always begged for him to stay. As he walked to the meeting his father had called, he didn't expect to see the doctors and elders surrounding the table.

"Welcome Roman." His father and alpha greeted.

"Alpha." Roman nodded slightly. "Elders."

"Roman. You will be accepting alpha soon." Alpha George Pike told his son. The elders all completely different looking and unique in their own ways. Some from the country which Roman resided and throughout its very regions while others came from further regions were dressed in attire completely foreign to the young alpha.

"Yes, always a pleasure. Nice to see you all..." his voice lacked the enthusiasm but he knew there had to be a very important matter to attend to if the elders.

"As it is," Elder Raphael begun.

"You will begin the..." Elder Whitney continued.

"Process ascension." Elder Raphael finished. Ascension of young alphas was something sacred, like a coming of age ceremony.

"Great," Roman shrugged. That meant taking a female every night and have someone he could fuck on demand... right? He could fill his house with females to cook and clean up after him. Women to bear his children all the while he cared for the pack...

Fingers snapped in Roman's face bringing him back to the meeting. "Sorry."

"The reason for this meeting today is the Elder doctors have some horrible news, brought to light by their research and testing." Concern filled Roman's eyes as his father pointed the attention to the doctor at the far end.

"Doctors?" He asked.

"Yes, doctors. The shifter's elder council has their very own research doctors. They research shifter related diseases and even so much as to watch over the population. A great concern is the depleting number of wolves being born amongst the Shadow Valley pack. Our bloodlines are so diluted..." Elder Whitney spoke.

"There is hardly any females in the pack.." Roman commented. Of course their bloodlines were getting diluted. What else were men to do when there were no female weres to mate with?

The elders nodded in agreement. "Yes, young alpha. It is not just your own pack but this problem is of many other packs as well." Elder Michael huffed. He was a gruff man, to the point and straight forward. He straightened in his chair. "Roman, your pack seems to be the worst of them all.  Many are breeding with humans!" Breeding with humans had long since been something that the shifter world did not agree with. Either mate with your own, or simply go stag.

Roman sucked in a breath, a loss for words. If things hadn't changed before he took alpha, he wouldn't have anything to offer his pups, if he was lucky enough to have them... That is if he didn't take over another pack, which was always a less favorable option.

"I understand you are a loss for words young alpha," Elder Raphael offered, "but we have decided on something that will change the pack for the good, forever... so much so that it will effect pups for generations."

Roman gulped nervously. "That's wonderful! What is your idea?"

"These guidelines go for you too. No more screwing around with the lower omega and human females." His father's voice was stern, knowing. Roman had been getting deeper and deeper into trouble with girls. Keeping them at the cottages just out side the pack nearly every night was not something that slipped past the older alpha.

"Second, all the non attached pack members over sixteen will be tested for their most successful matings. This isn't just for our own pack, Roman, others are going to be going through this as well. If there isn't a good match between each packs' own members they will be matching with the other packs." Elder Riley told everyone. He was the newest Elder to the Council along with Elder Whitney was from Roman's own pack.

"Now understand, I do not like arranged matings and arranged pregnancies ideas but it is necessary to grow our pack's defenses and abilities to what they had dwindled from. With this said, your own mate will be the first true test of this pack." Elder Whitney said sadly.

"Whoa whoa whoa..." Roman interrupted. "My mate, what's this about my mate. Alphas pick whom they mate!"

The doctor took that moment to interrupt once again, "Alpha Roman, your mate will need to be a new bloodline. We will be matching you..."

"No!" Roman stood from his chair abruptly knocking the chair back into the wall.

"Roman!" Alpha George snarled. "Sit down!"

"What if I'm not ready for a mate? Huh? Many an alpha has kept multiple mistresses." Roman hissed as he sat down angrily.

"Excuse me?!" George growled at his son. "That is not going happen. Your mother would be rolling in her grave. It may be a common occurrence in other packs, but not with Shadow!"

"Fine! I will declare my mate!" Roman snapped.

"It is for the good of the pack!" Elder Agatha spoke up trying to calm the young alpha, male him see understanding.

"And I will find a suitable one!" Roman slammed his fists into the shiny wood table powerful enough to crack it.

"You have one month to come up with an eligible heir providing female. You don't have to mate this woman for life. But she must provide you two heirs. The first she must carry before you take alpha or I will not turn it over to you." George demanded no longer waiting for the Elders to announce their decision.

"I will fight for it!"

"And you will be packless," George shrugged. His son was stubborn but not stupid.

Roman grumbled and stood. "May I suggest a contract alpha?" Elder Agatha suggested holding up a paper she must have prepared for just such situation. "Remember she must be were-blood."

"I have the perfect match in mind." Roman remembered back to his school years and the girl he was almost certain was were. The girl that could rejuvenate the pack.

"Remember young alpha, if you fail to find an eligible and worthy mate within one month," Elder Riley offered.

Roman's face paled. The moon ceremony was not one which he wanted to participate in. There were stories told by his grandmother... The Moon Ceremony has caused so much success for packs throughout generations. Yet his grandfather thought it needed to be banished... Ever since one male killed his young mate... back in the day females were forced to the Moon Ceremony too young... "The moon ceremony..."

"We will be enforcing the Mating Ceremony at eighteen." Elder Whitney sighed. It was obvious she was not in full agreement.

"I do not agree with this..." Roman frowned as he reached up and ran his hand through his hair. His face fell to the table top. What had he done wrong in life to be left with only this option?!

"Yes young alpha, we understand that." One elder replied. "But if we must, we will begin enforcing it."

Roman frowned the elders gave no remorse, the elders looked at each other then back to Roman. Angrily he grumbled and stood. He should have just stayed in bed today.