chapter 10

"This is simply the most amazing blood I've ever had the pleasure of testing," the doctor chimed as he looked at the creamy purple liquid under the microscope for the fourth time. The elders had directed the couple to the pack doctor.

"Why is it purple?!" Roman worried.

The doctor was too engrossed to speak and looked to Brinley for the answers. She looked at the doctor in 'don't make me' pleading eyes.

Roman looked between the two of them, "come on. We don't have all day!" he snapped aggressive and irritated. "Is she eligible or not?!"

The doctor laughed. "The question isn't if she is good enough for you. It's whether you are good enough for her. I'll leave you to figure that out." He patted Roman on the shoulder as he walked past. "Are you sure you want to grace this alpha?" he asked Brinley.

She smiled shyly. "I believe he has a good heart," she spoke softly. "He has seemed to change from his teen years." Roman had changed significantly in his physical looks, taller, leaner muscles, broader shoulders... His inward heart had just simply gone softer. He had a cold heart for many years in his teen years. Shoving people when he walked past, demanding, and bullying anyone within reach.

"Oh hell! Just tell me what's going on!"

"If you will mate her, you will see, boy. Always so impatient. Some secrets are just that, secrets." The doctor disappeared out the office leaving the two alone.

"What does that mean?" Roman hissed impatiently.

"You should understand there are things weres can't share until they mate... right?"

Roman growled his annoyance then snatched her up into his arms. "Let's go find out then, huh?" He tossed her up over his shoulder eager to try out the mating rituals.

"What?!" She squirmed trying to free herself.

He rubbed his hand up her bare thigh until he got to the hem of her skirt. He slapped her ass and made her to cry out in surprise. "Stop! Let go of me!" She snarled with a hard smack to his head.

"Owe shit!" He growled dropping Brinley to the ground. Landing with a thud, she scrambled herself to the wall, glaring. She knew she could be in danger, hitting an alpha was bad news.

Roman stomped toward Brinley angrier than he's been in a long time. He was so close... a roar ripped through him as his teeth bared. Only steps away and he shifted. His body elongated and thickened, his limbs grew massive paws with large claws. He roared, baring his teeth and snarling only mere inches from Brinley. He flailed his head around showing off.

"What do you think you are doing?!" A woman's voice screamed. Roman's head snapped in the direction of the noise. Her heavy footfalls distinguished her anger as she made her way between Brinley and the tiger. "Oh my goodness are you alright dear?" She reached down to help Brinley up. "Roman." Her voice was turned stern.

The tiger turned his head quickly and roared. "Ahg!" Johanna hissed as her hand snapped out and grabbed her nephew's scruff. "You change back now! You and I are going to have a talk." She shook her grip hard, letting him know she meant business.

Brinley watched wide-eyed as the small woman before her took control of the huge cat.

Roman shifted into his human form on his hands and knees fighting to get up quickly. "Yes ma'am."

Johanna stood tall at her four foot eleven inches. Her height didn't stop her one bit from commanding the situation. She stepped up to Brinley and left Roman hanging as she spoke. "Come with me darling. We will show this testosterone filled household who's boss."

After a stern talking to from his aunt, Roman apologized to both women and felt horrible for his outburst. His aunt had a point. If he wanted anything worth having, he had to calm his beast.

"I'm real sorry," Roman apologized for the tenth time. "But really! Why didn't you defend yourself?"

Brinley ducked her head a bit ashamed. "I can't."

"What do you mean, you can't shift?" He snapped confused.

"She means she's an alpha female." An elder stepped up offering.

"I've never heard of such thing." He stepped back, "is it contagious?"

"Seriously?" another elder stepped up and around Roman. This elder held out a hand to Brinley. "Far from it. She is as rare as they come. A true gift to all shifters."

Brinley's widened eyes said it all. She looked down at the floor. She hadn't told anyone. And no one had ever called her a gift to shifters!

"I didnt realize..." Roman spoke. "How?" His voice turned to curiosity.

Brinley looked up, "I have alpha and beta blood. It's a long story, but to shorten the explanation, my father was an alpha of the pack and my mother, wife of his beta."

"Interesting." Roman shook his head. "Why don't we talk..." he began to escort her toward his office, "I want to come to an agreement on this contract." Roman took the contract from his back pocket and scribbled more on it then passed it toward Brinley.

Roman smiled at the words before her.

Brinley smiled, "thanks. I'll keep it in mind when I review the contract again. I haven't really decided yet, but..." she thought about signing her name, knowing that the pack deserved better.

Elder Agatha stepped up to Roman and pushed him a slight bit forward, "why haven't you mated yet?"

Roman growled, "she hasn't allowed it."

"Ah... Well that could be a problem. You two need get this settled. We are holding the alpha ball in a two weeks and would like to have as much good news as possible."

"I would like to speak with you Elder Agatha. A few questions that need answering before I decide on the mating contract," Brinley said softly.

"That's just fantastic," Roman huffed, "let's get that meeting underway then. Please feel free to use my office."

"Ah okay then dear," Agatha leaned in and whispered, "do we need to ask the doctor to be there for questions as well?" Brinley looked at Roman then back at the elder. She nodded.

Back in the alpha's office, Brinley wrung her hands uncomfortably as she tried to explain her worries. "I'm sorry my young alpha but can you please start with your questions, we don't have all day," an elder grumbled.

Well now or never. She looked up at the elders and cleared her throat as she began. "My question is about the mating process. If I decide to mate with Roman... How do we proceed if I cannot shift."

"We are not going to accept anything but a mating," the elders shrugged.

"I haven't decided on him yet," Brinley snarled.

"What a predicament."