Chapter One

~~A/N- I've never done this before. I love Harry Potter and totally ship Dramione so I decided to try out FanFiction... I know this probably won't be popular, but everything counts in my book! (get it? I'm writing a book of sorts, and I said 'my book'? heh...) I want you guys to know that every little comment, read, and vote means the world to me. Keep shining like there is no tomorrow, right?~~

     Hermione Granger was sitting alone in the girl's Gryffindor dormitory reading a book, when her best friend, Ginny Weasley, walked in, simmering with unkempt fury. Ginny stormed over to the window and proceeded to stare angrily out the window, muttering under her breath every once in a while. Hermione considered leaving her alone or talking to her. Deciding that the former would be in her best interest, Hermione continued to sit quietly and read. After a while, however, something inside Ginny seemed to break and she began crying uncontrollably. Hermione immediately sat up and rushed over to her friend's side.

     "Ginny, what on Earth is wrong?" Hermione asked, concerned.

     "Oh, Mione, it was awful! I'm so furious with that despicable ferret!" screamed Ginny, tears streaming down her face. Hermione immediately understood Ginny must've had an encounter with Draco Malfoy, whom she wholly despised.

     "Do you want to talk about it Ginny?" asked Hermione tentatively. Ginny nodded slowly and wiped her face on Hermione's robe. 

    "You see, 'Mione, he tripped me in the Great Hall, in front of everyone, including HARRY!" Hermione knew that Ginny had a huge crush on Hermione's other friend, Harry Potter, The Chosen One. 

     "I know Harry, Ginny, and so do you... I'm sure he's okay with you falling every once in a while, even though that slimy ferret is terrible for tripping you. I would say I can't believe it, but he is totally smarmy enough to do that," said Hermione, sympathetic for her best friend. However, her attempts to comfort Ginny seemed to be in vain; Ginny just slumped on the ground and continued to cry. Hermione slipped an arm around her best friend, no longer speaking, but just holding her.

**Time Skip**

      Later Hermione could not help but keep thinking back to Ginny's break down. Admittedly, Ginny had seemed to have moved on. Hermione glanced up at Ginny, who was mingling with her fellow Gryffindors and smiled softly. However, Hermione noticed that whenever Ginny was alone she would run her hands through her hair and sigh. Worried for the well being of her friend, Hermione resolved to approach Ginny about the incident again in the morning. 

     About an hour later, Hermione decided she needed to go to bed. With one last concerned glance at Ginny, Hermione began her climb up the stairs towards the girl's dormitories. Halfway up the stairs, Ron Weasley, another one of Hermione's dear friends, called to her.

     "Oy! 'Mione! It's too early to go to bed, don't cha reckon?" 

      Hermione smiled at him and glanced at her watch.

     "Whatever do you mean? It's already 8:45!" exclaimed Hermione. Ron simply shook his head at her and beckoned for her to come down again. After some thought, Hermione reluctantly walked down the stairs towards Ron.

    "What do you want so desperately that requires me to stay up late?" asked Hermione, a small smile playing around her lips.

     Ron beamed at her and said, "Aw, 'Mione, it's not my fault you haven't talked to me all day, now is it?" Too stunned to respond Hermione just gaped at Ron. Turning on her heel, Hermione walked all the way up the stairs to the girls' dormitories. When she reached the top, she glanced at Ron who was staring at her, open-mouthed. Hermione chuckled and stuck out her tongue at him and raced inside her dormitory. 

     As she was getting ready for bed, she heard the alarms on the girl's stairs go off, followed by a grunt, and she laughed at the knowledge that Ron had attempted to climb the stairs. After shaking her head at his foolishness, Hermione plopped down on her bed and fell asleep almost immediately.

**Time Skip**

    Hermione walked out of History of Magic late, due to her after-class conversation with Professor Binns about the Goblin Wars. Harry and Ron had already gone on without her, and when Hermione glanced at her schedule to see where to go next, she was surprised to see that it was already lunchtime. Hermione was about to walk into the Great Hall when Professor McGonagall intercepted her.

     "Ms. Granger, will you please meet me in my office once you finish eating? It's rather urgent, I'm afraid."

     Hermione looked at Professor McGonagall in surprise. "Of course, professor, but may I ask why?"

     Professor McGonagall smiled sadly at one of her top students. "You may, but, it is a private matter that can only be discussed alone, by request," reasoned the Transfiguration teacher.

     "All right, ma'am," replied Hermione, heading into the Great Hall. She headed straight to the Gryffindor table but couldn't help but notice the Blaise Zabini, a close friend to the ferret, was looking at her like he'd never seen her before. It unsettled her, but she told herself everything was okay. That did not, however, ease her conscience. She remembered her vow to herself, and sat down in between Ginny and Harry, turning to the former.

     "Ginny, still miffed by the ferret?" Hermione questioned, still worried about her friend. 

     "Actually, no. I talked it over with him and he said it was an honest accident. I do think he's changed since the war," replied Ginny. Hermione gaped at her, her speech rendered useless from shock. Ginny, correctly interpreting her friend's silence, nodded and said, "Crazy, right? But, if you don't believe me, I suggest you talk to him. He's actually not half bad." 

     Too shocked to continue her conversation with Ginny, Hermione turned to Harry and decided to mention Zabini. "Harry, have you noticed how often Zabini's been looking over at me?" Hermione questioned.

     Harry, who was currently drinking pumpkin juice, spat it out, drenching Ron, who was sitting across from him. "WHAT?!" Hermione stared at him and decided not to answer because of his outburst. Instead, she merely thrust her thumb behind her, towards Zabini. Harry glared at the offender, who didn't seem fazed. On the contrary, he simply averted his eyes to Harry and stared at him. Tired of the charade, Hermione stood up and walked out of the Great Hall, determined not to be late for her meeting with Professor McGonagall. Unknown to her, Zabini got up as well and followed her out of the Great Hall.

     ~~A/N- Well, here it is! I know, it's super long, and probably underdeveloped... but I'm a perfectionist, so I knew I had to finish it at some point. I'm super excited and nervous at the same time because, again, I've never done this before. I hope you guys like it! However, you guys know that I own nothing but the plot. Everything else goes to the wonderful J. K. Rowling! That's all, for now!~~

-IronSword56  :D